Ridgid Belt/Spindle sander
for its price its hard to beat.  a dedicated spindle sander or belt sander will probably be better, but cost a lot more.

its biggest limitation to me is the size of its belt, its on the small size, but I don't know that anything could be done about that and keep the unit as small as it is.  

for ~$250 its worth it.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(09-30-2019, 03:11 PM)meackerman Wrote: for its price its hard to beat.  a dedicated spindle sander or belt sander will probably be better, but cost a lot more.

its biggest limitation to me is the size of its belt, its on the small size, but I don't know that anything could be done about that and keep the unit as small as it is.  

for ~$250 its worth it.

What he said.  It really offers a lot more utility than the asking price.

[Image: IMG_2617.jpg]
The latest issue of Wood Magazine has a review of spindle sanders and included the Ridgid sander you are asking about. I haven't had a chance to read the whole article but did see where they rated the Ridgid as the top value tool. It might be worth a read for you.
I have one.  I wanted a 6" wide belt sander but it was three times the price.  I might get one anyhow, but the Rigid is very good. 

Don't lose the key.  Otherwise you will spend $20.00 buying a new one on line.  Home Depot would not order one for me and they don't stock replacement parts.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(10-02-2019, 12:01 PM)Cooler Wrote: I have one.  I wanted a 6" wide belt sander but it was three times the price.  I might get one anyhow, but the Rigid is very good. 

Don't lose the key.  Otherwise you will spend $20.00 buying a new one on line.  Home Depot would not order one for me and they don't stock replacement parts.

Craftsman had those keys in a lot of their stuff too.  A large staple often fit the bill if i lost the switch key.
Great machine for the home shop.
When designing something to build, I try to use a sanding sleeve to mark an inside radius cut. Then use that size sleeve to sand cut.
A friend gave me his when he had problems with it. I fixed it and it later died.
I bought a new one. The only benchtop or stationary tool I have ever bought!
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(10-02-2019, 12:01 PM)Cooler Wrote: I have one.  I wanted a 6" wide belt sander but it was three times the price.  I might get one anyhow, but the Rigid is very good. 

ereplacementparts.com has the key.
Cost - $1.70 + Shipping
They show 25 in stock.

Bill
(10-02-2019, 04:21 PM)wjt Wrote: ereplacementparts.com has the key.
Cost - $1.70 + Shipping
They show 25 in stock.

Bill

I don't remember the exact price.  It might have been less than $20.00, but it was high enough to get me pissed off.  I should have been able to order replacements from the Home Depot store where I bought it. 

I will keep ereplacmenparts in my file for future reference.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
It looks like Grizzly and Wen now offer similar units. Not sure if a patent expired or they are licensed or what.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=spindle+sande..._sb_noss_2

My first thought would be to trust the Grizzly but I would probably have to read all the specs first.

Pedro
I miss nested quotes..........
(10-03-2019, 03:05 PM)PedroOhare Wrote: It looks like Grizzly and Wen now offer similar units. Not sure if a patent expired or they are licensed or what.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=spindle+sande..._sb_noss_2

My first thought would be to trust the Grizzly but I would probably have to read all the specs first.

Pedro

the grizzly and wen look like twins.  probably come off the same line, just different colors.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark