Oscillation Multi tool
The cost of a oscillating multi-tool is the blades.

They do things nothing else will do but the blades add up.

Paid too much for mine when I got it but wouldn't sell it now.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I have a Menard house brand corded one. Love it. The cost of the blades, don't love that so much.
Often times it is the tool for the job

I have a corded version that I paid $30 for a few years ago and love it. Then I bought the Milwaukee M12 version and loved it. Then I sold my Milwaukee tools and went with Makita 18v. One of the first tools was the oscillating tool. I love it the most. Of course, I do cabinet install for a living and my Makita is invaluable on a jobsite. Here's a hint for everyone, buy the Fein multi tool bi metal blade in a 10 pack and you won't be disappointed. I've seen them for as low as $55 online. It's the only blade I would use now. I've tried others and they just don't hold up. Definitely, the blade is the key.

something I also use quite a lot is the detail sander attachment. It really comes in handy.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I have the HF corded single speed.  $16 with coupon.  Indispensable for home improvement projects.  Things I have used it for:

- Cutting trim and baseboard in place, as has been mentioned

- Cutting a cat access door into a hollow-core door so the cat can have access to the litter box with the door closed

- Cutting holes in the middle of drywall sheets to work around rough plumbing

- Using the hard scraper blade to remove old mastic from floors and construction glue on the facing side of wall studs so that new drywall can be installed

- Removing grout from between tiles so that they can be re-grouted.

- Removing drywall sections for various projects when a clean edge is desired

- Using metal blade to cut metal roofing sheets for the run out at the chicken coop

I can go on...
I forgot to mention. I got an adapter set separately from my Dremel MM40 tool.
It has an adapter & several blades in the set. The adapter allows you to use non-star splined blades in the tool.
All you have to do is use an Allen key to remove & install the non-star splined blades. I have found packs of 10 blades on Amazon for under $25.

Both regular wood blades, and carbide combo blades for that price.
Another vote for the HF variable speed tool.  Used it to remove all the parquet tiles in an old Airstream that were glued down.  The thing never missed a beat and I beat on it for quite a few hours.  What got beat up on that job were my knees and back.

Its also great for trimming out door casings when you put hardwood in, just slide a cutoff to establish height and the molding is cut at just the right height for the new flooring to slide under.   You dont use it often, but it will come in handy.
I bought the Porter Cable.  It has been very useful, but the blade changing setup is less than satisfactory.  I haven't been able to get the blade holding nut  of it off yet, and a lot of blades don't fit without taking the nut off, even though it is supposedly a no-tool design.
I bought the Fein when I started a bunch of home improvements.  I've used mine for tile work, hardwood flooring work, trim work and wood rot repair.  The sanding features are very specialized and more home improvement based than furniture making but if you're refinishing hardwood floors the triangular sanding pad works very well.  

The best part of the Fein is the speed and accuracy you can get.  With little practice, you can make nearly 90 degree plunge cuts.  Using a guide block works well too.  I have found the Fein brand blades to be better quality.  The dust collection is excellent.  The variable speed is a helpful and truly useful feature.  I'm amazed all over again every time I need to make a very clean cut that will be exposed.  

Off the top of my head, I've used it for very clean drywall cuts to open and then close walls.  Notching trim near cabinets to tuck backsplash tile nicely behind cabinetry.  Undercutting trim for hardwood flooring height clearance.  Plunge cutting hardwood flooring to insert flush mount wood vents in preexisting flooring.  Cutting nails in tight spaces.  Sanding in tight corners.  Splicing trim where exterior wood rot has been removed.  Scraping thin set off concrete board.  

I bought mine used and you can find some really good deals on the Fein's now that there's many knockoffs out there.  Although I don't use it all the time, I'm glad I splurged on the Fein.  It's a very well made tool.

(12-06-2016, 10:03 AM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: I bought the Fein when I started a bunch of home improvements.  I've used mine for tile work, hardwood flooring work, trim work and wood rot repair.  The sanding features are very specialized and more home improvement based than furniture making but if you're refinishing hardwood floors the triangular sanding pad works very well.  

The best part of the Fein is the speed and accuracy you can get.  With little practice, you can make nearly 90 degree plunge cuts.  Using a guide block works well too.  I have found the Fein brand blades to be better quality.  The dust collection is excellent.  The variable speed is a helpful and truly useful feature.  I'm amazed all over again every time I need to make a very clean cut that will be exposed.  

Off the top of my head, I've used it for very clean drywall cuts to open and then close walls.  Notching trim near cabinets to tuck backsplash tile nicely behind cabinetry.  Undercutting trim for hardwood flooring height clearance.  Plunge cutting hardwood flooring to insert flush mount wood vents in preexisting flooring.  Cutting nails in tight spaces.  Sanding in tight corners.  Splicing trim where exterior wood rot has been removed.  Scraping thin set off concrete board.  

...  It's a very well made tool.

+1!.   I have done all of that. Also cut openings in the back of cabinets for electric outlets, cut openings for electrical outlets in drywall. Cut the bottom of cabinet face frame in order to fit a refrigerator. Used as a flush cut saw to trim off Miller dowels. Probably more
(12-05-2016, 11:26 AM)meackerman Wrote: I have the 18v Ridgid (among others) it has a number of different heads that interchange so it sees more use than just a single purpose multitool would.

Wouldn't get a 12v cordless, the runtime just isn't there.  

When you need it, its very helpful to have.

I have a 12V cordless.  I subsequently purchased a corded motor, for the reasons mentioned above. 

The OP was about osculating tools.  The Ridgid has heads besides the osculating head.  I have several of them.  I find the right angle drill and driver to be very handy.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe