Tub/shower plumbing questions
I have a separate shower stall and tub in our master bath.  I'm going to replace the tub with a shower unit and completely remove the old stall and make that into some closet space.

First, what do I need to do cap off the plumbing for the shower stall?  The supply lines are CPVC.  Just cut those back down below floor level and cement on caps?  What about the PVC drain line and vent?  Cap it off above the P-trap and then cover the hole in the floor or do I need to follow it back further?

Second, I'm ready to remove the steel tub.  I could disconnect the overflow, try to disconnect the drain, and then lift out the tub.  However, since I've got to upgrade the drain line to 2" from 1 1/2", I was thinking I could just cut drain line after the P-trap and the whole thing would be free.  Here's a pic from the back side of the tub.  What do you think?

[Image: 3PovHu-uzWbK6kUxjRTVnt8nx7dafkRtrQ5SvAjh...72-no?.jpg]

Thanks,
Paul
For the shower, if there's no reason the supply lines can't be left capped in the wall I would do that. I would also leave the drain in place if I could, but capped. My reasoning is someday somebody might want a shower there again, and time and money have been spent to put the lines there, so might as well leave them there.

For the tub if you are upgrading to 2" anyway. then just cut the line and get the tub out.
I'd also put shut-off valves on those no-longer necessary pipes, near where they tee of from the main water line (if you're going to cap them in the wall and leave them in place).
I have nothing to add about the shower but the tub depending on how tight it is in the space you might be better off cutting it in 2 pieces.  Also you may discover the drain to be 2" once you get it out of the way.  Pretty common for people to use one size pipe through a place and reduce at the ends lot less trouble finding fittings that way
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Fwiw, I would consider removing the unused shower lines back to the nearest arterial (common) supply line.

Left as is, they pose a leak hazard for you, a hazard for the next remodelers and maybe a health hazard if they do not get flushed occasionally (I'm picturing a worst case like water sitting stagnant in the pipes for a couple years then getting siphoned back into the rest of the household water supply).

Bonus points if these shower lines are in an exterior wall (not uncommon in the South).

My $0.02 only.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
(12-05-2016, 11:13 AM)Bob10 Wrote: I have nothing to add about the shower but the tub depending on how tight it is in the space you might be better off cutting it in 2 pieces.  Also you may discover the drain to be 2" once you get it out of the way.  Pretty common for people to use one size pipe through a place and reduce at the ends lot less trouble finding fittings that way

Agreed, my tub was plumbed 2" most of the way to the drain and then reduced. This was a big help in converting to a shower only. If not, I presume one would re-purpose the existing shower drain to be the new shower drain and abandon the 1 1/2 line assuming they are in close proximity.

Personally, I'd rather keep the separate tub and shower and find more imaginative storage ideas.

I don't think upgrading a 1 1/2" drain to 2" is really a big upgrade if it is not practical though. It wouldn't be code, but I don't see it as a big risk either. In this case, it appears he has plenty of options for a 2" drain, so I'd do it anyway.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
You realize that if you leave the shower lines in the wall, you will hit one or both with a nail as you trim out the closet.  I'm not a fan of leaving lines in walls, floors or ceilings, ok.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Funny you mention that.  I have a house that the guys who put on the siding stuck a nail right next to a pipe that over the years rubbed through because of vibration.  I was lucky enough to chase down the builder who made the repairs and took care of all the water damage.  I don't like pipes hidden in unexpected places myself I would take them out as close to origin as possible
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(12-05-2016, 12:39 PM)MKepke Wrote: Fwiw, I would consider removing the unused shower lines back to the nearest arterial (common) supply line.

Left as is, they pose a leak hazard for you, a hazard for the next remodelers and maybe a health hazard if they do not get flushed occasionally (I'm picturing a worst case like water sitting stagnant in the pipes for a couple years then getting siphoned back into the rest of the household water supply).

I'll try to go back as far as practically possible.  I think the shower lines are a continuation of the vanity next to it.

This is scary:

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dhs/d...6011_7.pdf

(12-05-2016, 02:35 PM)blackhat Wrote: You realize that if you leave the shower lines in the wall, you will hit one or both with a nail as you trim out the closet.  I'm not a fan of leaving lines in walls, floors or ceilings, ok.

(12-05-2016, 04:35 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Funny you mention that.  I have a house that the guys who put on the siding stuck a nail right next to a pipe that over the years rubbed through because of vibration.  I was lucky enough to chase down the builder who made the repairs and took care of all the water damage.  I don't like pipes hidden in unexpected places myself I would take them out as close to origin as possible

Guilty!  This tub sits above our kitchen.  Last spring I shortened the soffit and installed a taller wall cabinet.  I missed the mounting block and the cabinet was a little off.  I backed the screw out and water started to follow the screw down!  The water was a little brown and didn't come out with a lot of pressure so I was pretty sure it wasn't a supply line.  Turns out I had screwed into the P-trap that you see in my post.  We never use this tub except to fill up a bucket or something so I patched the hole with some 2 part epoxy.  At least I won't have to worry about this trap anymore after I replace it.
(12-05-2016, 04:35 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Funny you mention that.  I have a house that the guys who put on the siding stuck a nail right next to a pipe that over the years rubbed through because of vibration.  I was lucky enough to chase down the builder who made the repairs and took care of all the water damage.  I don't like pipes hidden in unexpected places myself I would take them out as close to origin as possible

neighbors at my previous place paid the homebuilder to landscape their front yard.  I'm sure they sub'd it out to some landscaping outfit.  About 4-5 years later they had a leak in the front yard.  Seems when the landscapers put the tree in the front yard, they drove one of the support stakes so that it was touching the waterline...  Took a few years to rub through the copper.

Got the home builder to come fix the waterline under warranty, and the home builder wanted to put another tree back in the same place.  Neighbors told them no.

FIL put a finish nail, from a nailgun, into a copper line once.  Took a couple weeks for it leak enough that it was noticeable

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark