New DC placement?
So, as I move into more of a hybrid workshop having power tools as well as hand tools, I purchased a new Harbor Freight 2 HP dust collector. My question is I know the bag that comes with it is no good, but I wanted to have it vented outside anyway. So I'm also looking at moving my 60 gallon air compressor to an outside lean to type structure against my garage. Should I make the lean to big enough to accommodate the dust collector but have poor filtration and have a very dusty air compressor, or should I hang the dust collector itself, the motor, on the wall inside my garage or off the ceiling inside of my garage and then vent the dust outside through a hose in the wall to where it would be into some sort of catch pan that could be oily or whatever that would hold on to the dust and change it periodically. Any thoughts?

FWIW, I will be using a separator of some sort.

Thank you.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Next to the compressor inside or outside is fine 

Even though the bags are not optimal for DC once they get a layer of cake  on the bag (happens quickly) there will be very little dust to affect the AC) 

As a matter of routine maintenance say to start once a month just take the Air filters off the compressor and blow them out. I expect that is more than adequate to keep the compressor running for a very long time.

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Thanks....but if for whatever reason I don't put the compressor outside, is there any problem with hanging the DC from the wall or rafters? I'd then vent it outside.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
If it were me I would not vent outdoors I cannot afford the heating bill if I do that 

I know the HF bags get a bad rap but they can be replaced with better ones if you really feel the need 

Based on what you have stated with a separator in front all you are collecting in the DC is dust unless you over fill the separator 

I no longer have what amounts to the same set up you describe before I upgraded to a cyclone and I never had any issues with the compressor collecting dust then or now  

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

there are better upper filter bags available. I picked this one up for mine and it works good

https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-70001-Co...B005VSAP74

I have a 60 gallon twin cylinder in my shop,too, that gets used a lot and the filters stay pretty clean. take em out once a month and blow em out and replace em yearly and its good to go.
Do what many others (including myself) have done - replace the bag with a pleated filter from Wynn Industries, problem solved.
fabric filtration

use link for better bags

I house my DC in a remote shed next to my shop just to get the noise and mess outside.   I had planned on returning air but never finished that portion so the cheap orginal bags work just fine.  I like the lack of air return now as I can use my DC as a fume and dust extractor to wisk the pollution outside.   I just crack a door in the opposite side for makeup air.

My DC controls are wired to buttons all over the shop so I can turn it on and off easy and not have to let it run continuously.  My compressor is installed in a remote garage stall for similar reasons. That garage does not freeze so the oil compressor will start easier.

[Image: dust_collector_shed1.jpg]
WoodNET... the new safespace
Hanging the blower from a wall or the joists will transmit a LOT of noise throughout the house. Unless it's a detached structure, I wouldn't do that. Put it on stilts from the concrete floor, and store stuff underneath. Or put it outside.

My 2 hp HFDC blower is mounted on a cyclone I built from the Pentz plans, and the outlet is ducted through a casement window in my basement. It will cool the shop down, but for how little I use it, I don't mind. If it were a commercial shop, or if I used it a lot, I'd stack up a bunch of truck air filters or get some high efficiency bags, but for what I need, it's just fine.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(12-07-2016, 01:26 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Hanging the blower from a wall or the joists will transmit a LOT of noise throughout the house.

THIS!!!   I rigged up some rubber mounts between the wall and some 2x6 hangers.  More rubber between the 2x6s and the mounting brackets.  Bolts also isolated via rubber.   More rubber between brackets and blower - with those bolts also isolated by more rubber.   Wall still resonates with blower noise.  Cut it down enough however to not be a bother in the house when blower is on the opposite wall from the house in an attached garage.
MKM - Master Kindling Maker