wb poly mixed 50% with mineral spirits
will this work to seal the wood.  i am trying to seal some cherry, and i don't have any shellac.  mixing 50% wb poly and 50% mineral spirits.  i will be spraying both the sealer and then the water based poly.
No it won't work. It's mixing oil and water (literally). The common recommendation is to not thin waterborne finishes more than the manufacturer suggest, that's almost always less than 20% or so. More than that can screw with the chemistry. I'm guessing you just want to prevent grain raising (?). It might be just as easy to apply your first coat of waterborne, let it dry, sand it smooth, and your done (with the grain raising). The first coat locks the fibers on place to be smoothed out and seals it from further problems, continue to apply whatever number of coats you want.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Or he could make his first coat Sealcoat.  It will prevent grain raising and will build finish thickness at the same time. Dries in less than a half an hour.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I thought he said he didn't have any shellac....
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.