Stanley #62 Low Angle Plane Prices
Tshiker, no offense, but I'd send it right back to where it came from and snag the LV LA Jack down in the classifieds. The first time you use it you'll forget about the $50 difference
Hmmm, HD has a new #78 on sale for $51, not a bad deal, these are hard to screw up, so if anyone is in the market...... just sayin. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-1-2-in-x-10.../203757682
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Hank

I have a vintage Stanley #62. I also have a Veritas LA Jack. The planes are related in terms of design, but they feel completely different in the hands. The Veritas is by far the better plane - construction and features. Absolutely no argument. However, I still like to pull out the Stanley and use it as a short jointer for thin panels. It is a very light plane, so easily controlled, and feels like an extension of one's hands. I'm not selling mine.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(12-06-2016, 08:50 PM)Admiral Wrote: Hmmm, HD has a new #78 on sale for $51, not a bad deal, these are hard to screw up, so if anyone is in the market...... just sayin. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-1-2-in-x-10.../203757682

That is a real handplane bargain. The #78 is a complex plane. Depending on the type, they have over a dozen different pieces and most of these in the wild are missing something. Normal retail is $79.

Even though I have a #289, I still use my #78. It is a really good rabbet plane--works well and is easy to use.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I agree with Jim; the 78 does not get the respect it deserves.
Moreover, I've not found that "vintage" versions, even Sweetheart vintage, work any better than late model versions; that's what I meant by they are hard to screw up.  Good point on missing pieces in vintage models, you know this one will be complete.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(12-06-2016, 08:39 PM)AUswimKC Wrote: Tshiker, no offense, but I'd send it right back to where it came from and snag the LV LA Jack down in the classifieds. The first time you use it you'll forget about the $50 difference

No offense taken, but I'm looking forward to giving the new Stanley a try. I am very satisfied with their new version of the 750 chisels, maybe I just have a low bar and am easy to please! (if you knew me, you would know just how silly that statement is!
Laugh)
For me I love the old to very old tools and yes I do use them, however, for me it is the price and found that the older stuff is cheaper then the new stuff.
The biggest thing for me is trying to get very nice work with the tool and I imagine who used it and what they did with it.  I LOVE history and for every tool I have been getting info in them so future generations will be able to know who used it.

I love the old 8" saw that Carl Becklinburg sp? gave me that was made in the early 1850's and have used it but mostly I just show others and let them hold history. 

I still have some tools I need and I am really looking forward to getting Old stock and maybe a tool I use a lot of get one new so the old one will not wear as much.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I totally agree with the charm of old tools. However, the #78 is an exception. Bench planes almost always can be found complete. Most only need a cleaning and sharpening to be put to work. But most #78s found in the wild are missing parts. And EVERY part of the #78 is essential for proper use. Chasing down those parts gets expensive. All of a sudden, new AND COMPLETE in the box for $50 starts to look like a real bargain.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Doesnt LN have a LA JAck?  How does that compare?
Jerry