hardwood plywood
when buying red oak plywood for an entertainment center would you buy from Menards or go to a real Hardwood Lumber Dealer ?  Is the quality from a dealer worth the premium price ?
I've used maple plywood from Menards to build more than a dozen desks for a school. It's okay, but the plies are softwood and the maple veneer is really, really thin. If you can do better than that, I definitely would. For a project like yours, I wouldn't scrimp on materials.
Ditto that!!
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

You won't necessarily get better hardwood plywood at a lumber yard, etc.  My local full service lumber yard stocks Chinese birch plywood.  It's just junk.  Their red oak plywood is no better than what I can buy at HD.  I can buy better quality plywood through them but the price is astronomical.  Fortunately I have a local millwork supply company not too far away and they stock some very good quality hardwood plywood.  Sooooo, you have to go look and see what each supplier has, there are no guarantees. 

AFAIK, the core of all hardwood plywood is made with softwood.  

John
Stock HD plywood is usually rotary cut which is a look I dont care for. Order A1 or A2 flatsawn. If this is an entertainment center it will be seen a lot, make it look great.
Check the price differences if you have a good hard wood supply in your area and make out out of solid wood.
check out the price differences here at my supplier.
http://www.kmhardwoods.com/
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(12-05-2016, 07:17 PM)Buckhunter Wrote: when buying red oak plywood for an entertainment center would you buy from Menards or go to a real Hardwood Lumber Dealer ?  Is the quality from a dealer worth the premium price ?

I haven't bought Hardwood surfaced ply, BB, or regular construction ply anywhere but Menards in several years. Lower price, I've found better quality than the so called specialty places, and easy. Plus they can get anything, it doesn't matter if it's in the store or not. If you don't see it, just ask. I've found for special order 3 to 5 working days is the norm for lead time. Even special order they still come in lower priced than the competition. Both Lowes, and HD can also do that, but Menards always wins in the price comparison. On Red Oak, Maple,Walnut and Cherry Menards has a line of extra thick skinned outer plies + worth the MONEY  
Yes  
Yes  
Yes  
Wink  
Big Grin

Ohhhh look 11% off right now for B grade

Product spec for Red Oak

A grade is slightly more and my experience is hands on, the B grade is pretty darn good.

A grade specs
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(12-05-2016, 09:48 PM)jteneyck Wrote: You won't necessarily get better hardwood plywood at a lumber yard, etc.  My local full service lumber yard stocks Chinese birch plywood.  It's just junk.  Their red oak plywood is no better than what I can buy at HD.  I can buy better quality plywood through them but the price is astronomical.  Fortunately I have a local millwork supply company not too far away and they stock some very good quality hardwood plywood.  Sooooo, you have to go look and see what each supplier has, there are no guarantees. 

AFAIK, the core of all hardwood plywood is made with softwood.  

John

Well, not really.  http://www.paxtonwood.com/PlywoodCore.aspx

Chose the suitable style.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(12-06-2016, 06:18 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Well, not really.  http://www.paxtonwood.com/PlywoodCore.aspx

Chose the suitable style.

I suppose you are correct.  I just don't call particle board and MDF cores plywood.  Lumber core I call lumber core plywood.  Plywood for me is veneer core, and that's always softwood.  But you are right.

John
The red oak ply I get from Lowes is good on one face only.  If I need both faces good then I go to the specialty lumber yard (Condons) and pay twice or three times as much.

Mostly the exterior needs to be good, interior surfaces seem not to show as much.  If I feel I can get away with the Lowes material I will use it.  I don't mind saving $100.00 to $200.00 on a  project.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.