tile saw suggestion
I want to purchase a good tile saw. Does anyone have it? Which one to buy? Please, suggest me something worthwhile
I love acting. It is so much more real than life.
As a weekend warrior, the Harbor Freight is really a decent saw for the price.....especially considering what you would get at the BORG for similar money.  The HF saw can also be adjusted to aline the rails/table with the blade. If I were to step up from the HF, I'd look at the Dewalt.

I got excellent results with the DeWalt: not cheap, but after doing a couple of bathroom renovations, I was able to sell
it for close to what I paid for it.  

[Image: 028877518503.jpg]
My second job is tiling and I have the Dewalt.  Very nice saw and have worked this saw over now for 4 years.  It will do you well!
Keep your mouth shut and nobody will know how stupid you are........I should have listened!
Over the last few years as part of an addition/renovation to our home, I've done a "ton" of tile work. I picked up the earlier version of this one at Home Depot and it has been an excellent performer! (gets pretty good reviews) My wife found some spiffy coupons on the net that worked so I was able to save quite a bit when I bought it.

I would easily buy it again!

Doug
The big ridgid one called the beast is a great tile saw. It's more like using a table saw as it cuts very fast and is very stable. Expensive but a good saw. 

The harborfreight bridge saw gets good reviews and I'd probably look to it for dding allot of tile in a house but it also depends on wit kind of tile and how it's laid if you even need one. The tile guys still use the breakers as they are right there on the floor next to them along with the pile of tile. Faster cleaner and less getting up and down. But if you are doing diagonals etc then a big tile saw is really a benefit. Also for netted backsplash tile or glass tile.
I held off responding until now.  I am currently in the middle of a tile floor project and I bought the HF tile/brick saw on that list you link to, strictly on price, I had a coupon to get the saw for $209, I figured at that price I had nothing to lose.  Certainly, the cheap looking casting of the carriage give away that it is not a pro brand product, but overall, the quality of the machine seems to be pretty good.  I finally got to use it yesterday and I found it to work very well.  Granted, there's a lot to be said about getting a good blade (the HF does not come with a blade), I picked up a Rigid blade from Home Depot and the combination of the saw and blade worked very well, IMHO.  I have cut concrete blocks and bricks and it required multiple passes, I assumed that cutting tile would too, but I tried my first cut at full depth, since the instructions did not call for multiple passes, and was surprised at how quickly I was able to cut through the tile, almost as easy as cutting wood.  The only downside is that since I am using 18"x18" tiles in a diamond pattern, I was probably a bit beyond the capabilities of this saw (making straight cuts parallel with the sides, would probably allow you to go up to 24" x 24" tiles, as the 18x18 @45 degrees is approx. 25" corner to corner, but I am not sure you can use this saw to install a diamond pattern larger than 18x18).  I have been able to make every cut I have needed to cut, so far, but some required quite a bit of finagling to get the piece in the right position. 

Its not perfect, by any means, but overall, I am happy with the purchase. 

Paul
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
Unless you are starting up as a tile contractor your most efficient use of funds is at the local tool rental place. They have professional equipment, which will make it possible to make pro cuts, and you can still take a vacation this year
Big Grin

I should add 2 guys I know who are professional tile installers still rent their equipment, and just price it into the job.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Yes, Steve, there's a lot to be said for a rental - depending on how long you need to have the saw on hand. For those of us who always seem to have a credit card balance running, buying a saw $700-$900 saw on credit could result in an annual credit cost of $85-$250 - and that's not including the monthly cost of paying down on the purchase price of the saw. Storing the saw is a further issue for those who chose to own one.
It all depends. I work with small handmade mosaic tiles and i don`t to spend money on a big saw. I tried it once or twice but working with small components is a tough one. Also, you didnt mention how often will you use it. Daily basis? One time a month? Or a year?
All things considered, the saw is excellent tool to work with but as long as i have my QEP handheld cutter i`m good to go. I even managed to tile my bath with it.