What kind of tree did this come from
Kinda like an acorn but not quite. Pic may be too big

Attached Files Image(s)

Google says it's from a white oak tree.

http://nyc.books.plantsofsuburbia.com/ge...kfagaceae/

Mike
I don't think so. I have several white oak trees in my yard as well as shingle oaks, red oaks, burr oaks, and none of them has every had an acorn that looked like that. The white oak are usually large and round. shingle oak is small like marbles. etc. Bonus year for the shingle oaks. My yard looked like a ball bearing factory. 2nd thought; maybe it is just in the white oak family.
BontzSawWorks.net
the upper one looks like acorns from a "live oak".  At least that is what I think they were called when I was growing up in the Los Angeles area.

Hope that helps.

-Brian

Ps:  just did a google search of Live Oak Acorns .. I think that is it link
There are a boatload of oak tree variants, wikipedia says over 600, so your guess is as good as mine......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Quercus_species
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Looks similar to an oak one. But the white oak and live oak ones are more of a sphere than those and only about half the length and live oak ones being quite small. 

Live oak are messy year round with their small leaves and acorns. They try to kill everything around them unless you constantly rake up the mess from the grass.
They are acorns but we need a few clues to get even close to what it might be.  How did you get the acorn?  Do you know what tree it came off of?  Where did the acorn grow.  If we are talking Minnesota, for instance, it won't be a live oak.  Knowing the region of the country it grew in will help to reduce the number of possibilities because oak species are more or less regional in distribution.  Was it near water? Unless you are lucky you will probably need to see the leafs and bark along with the acorn to make an ID.  Ken
they look like the live oak in my yard.  I have a white oak in another yard these don't look like those

[Image: Acorns-of-California-Oak-Trees.jpg]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(12-06-2016, 07:32 PM)Ken Vick Wrote: They are acorns but we need a few clues to get even close to what it might be.  How did you get the acorn?  Do you know what tree it came off of?  Where did the acorn grow.  If we are talking Minnesota, for instance, it won't be a live oak.  Knowing the region of the country it grew in will help to reduce the number of possibilities because oak species are more or less regional in distribution.  Was it near water? Unless you are lucky you will probably need to see the leafs and bark along with the acorn to make an ID.  Ken

Rick is in NJ as I recall, but might have gotten it while traveling.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis