Biscuit use in table top
I am wanting to attach a 3" wide cherry boarder around a veneered plywood table top. My plan was to use biscuits to keep things aligned. I have heard stories about the biscuits telegraphing up to the surface. Is this something that happens over time or is it the glue that makes them swell enough bulge the surface? If it is the glue can I just wait about a week before sanding to allow glue and wood to completely dry out? Would spines be a better choice?
I have never heard that.  It might be true.

An alternative is to drive tiny wire brads into the edge of the plywood and then clip them off about 1/32" from the surface.  Add the glue and align and press in place.  The tiny bit of brad sticking out will keep the edging from sliding around and will not split the plywood, nor will it show through the edging.  You will  have to clamp however.

I have used this method many times for glue ups.  It allows you to align pieces after applying the glue and then pressing in position.  And there are no tell tales afterwards.  

I use a brad driver for this.  There are cheaper versions out there but this one is from Amazon.com:  https://www.amazon.com/Crown-110XW-Brad-...rad+Pusher
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Those stories have merit, and your solution is what I would suggest if you use biscuits.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
If you are talking stock that's 3/4" thick or more, and you center the biscuit on the thickness, it won't happen.  It only happens if you put the biscuit really near the edge and then sand/plane the surface before the glue has dried well. 

You'll be fine.  

John
The brad method I mentioned in post #6 is faster, cheaper and easier.  It leaves no telltale, and remains invisible.  It is also more accurate than biscuits.  

I'll stick with the clipped brads.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Seems risky to me. Even with biscuits it can be hard to align the material perfectly and if the veneered material is even slightly proud you may not be able to make the edges even without sanding or planning through the veneer. Learned this the hard way.
(12-06-2016, 03:44 PM)HomerLee Wrote: Seems risky to me. Even with biscuits it can be hard to align the material perfectly and if the veneered material is even slightly proud you may not be able to make the edges even without sanding or planning through the veneer. Learned this the hard way.

this is one place a cabinet scraper shines in even the most steroid driven power shop the key is of course to make the rim proud of the field 

Either pins or biscuits or even spines will work they all do in essence the same thing
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Make your alignment so that the edging is slightly proud.  Bring the level of the edging down to the level of the veneer with whatever method you prefer.  Ken
Working on test samples as we write. Can someone describe the brad process in detail? Thank you.
shoot (drive) the brads into the field leaving them proud at least 1/4". take end nippers and clip off the heads leaving about 1/8" protruding

I generally set the field slightly higher than the edging (makes slight alignment issues in the solid stock instead of the thinner veneered field that can be cleaned up with a cabinet scraper )

glue and slide in the part to the field and clamp; the pins grab the stock and hold it in place
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy