Shipping a hand plane to Europe
I'm not sure where to post this, but I thought someone here might be able to help. A woodworker in Italy--not a regular woodnetter--has asked to buy a hand plane I have for sale (paying me via paypal). I'm not sure how this would work, or if it would be safe  to send a package to Italy. But if the guy wants a plane, I'd like to help out. Any advice?
I've shipped a few tools to Europe, but not Italy specifically so I can't speak to their laws. I can tell you that if you ship thru USPS, there's a lot of paperwork. I don't know about UPS, FedEx or other carriers. The recipient will usually have to pay a VAT based on the value you declare on the paperwork. If you opt for insurance, you should make sure the value you put on the USPS form is pretty darn lose to the insured value. HTH
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Depending on the size of the plane, you may be able to use a USPS International Flat Rate box. They are the same size as the domestic ones, but have a lower weight limit. Shouldn't be a problem sending a plane.
My daughter was a student in Italy a couple of years ago, and we sent her packages with no problems. We usually used the Flat Rate boxes. It took a while, but they got there with no damage. However, they did cut the corner off the package of peanut butter M&M's, doubtless to check for contraband!
I'd pack it as well as you can. I usually cut a piece of heavy cardboard to the size of the inside of the box. I then stretch-wrap the item to the cardboard, and put it in the box, filling up the rest of the space with packing peanuts.
I'd insure it for the purchase price, including shipping, and declare then full value on the form. Whatever duties or VAT the recipient has to pay are between him and the Italian government.
Rick W
The USPS is your friend.  Everything you need to know is on their website:

https://www.usps.com/international/welcome.htm
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I've shipped to Germany, a few USPS forms to fill out, not all that painful. Can be expensive, and the buyer has to pay duties/taxes.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Just ship it. Not a big deal but do check usps vs fedex. I have shipped a few things overseas and have found that fedex was cheaper. Usps and ups don't seem to llike to ship overseas. 

I shipped a large model airplane kit to Japan and it was quite a bit cheaper through fedex. Funny part is that kit was making a round trip because it was made in Japan. Only took 4 days to get there. Sad part is is takes over a week to send a letter across town here...
I think you should go there and deliver it yourself. That would make it so much more meaningful.
Big Grin
(12-06-2016, 10:47 AM)overland Wrote: I'm not sure where to post this, but I thought someone here might be able to help. A woodworker in Italy--not a regular woodnetter--has asked to buy a hand plane I have for sale (paying me via paypal). I'm not sure how this would work, or if it would be safe  to send a package to Italy. But if the guy wants a plane, I'd like to help out. Any advice?

I would also require him to pay "Friends and Family".  If he pays through goods and services, and files a claim that he didn't get the item correctly, you have no recourse.
It's not going to work. The guy, a woodworker, was hoping through a private sale to avoid import taxes in Italy, but there's no way to do that and insure the plane for its full value.
Overland, check your PM
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.