I'm doing Boulle Marquetry
I think I could count the number of times I've done Boulle on my hands. Now, I'm setting out to operate a marquetry workshop and it's time to begin probing. It's important to discover weaknesses, identify bottlenecks, and generally make observations to ensure better results in the future.
I don't have too much to say about it right now, I just thought some woodnetters might like to have a look.
This is from an original cartoon. I do my own designs when I can.
[Image: 15385399_1195474040542072_1038362564765128450_o.jpg]

I'm doing eight leaves of veneer. This will yield eight panels, four each of premiere partie and contre partie respectively. It might be of interest, so I'll describe the woods.
1- mahogany & black (dyed)
2- mahogany & black
3- bubinga (QTRD) & black
4- Kevanzingo (rotary quilted bubinga) & maple (curly)
That looks like it takes a lot of skill and patience! Keep us posted!

Andy
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
Paul, beautiful work.  I would like to see more details of how you do this work.  I am looking forward to chapters in this story.  Ken
Looks great Paul.  Do you use a donkey to cut out the pieces?  Where is your workshop going to be?  Are you going to have classes?

Lonnie
Yeah Paul, Boulle marquetry isn't something most of us see very often, so perhaps a word or two and photo about your saw setup?
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Well, my apologies for brevity. I've been a very busy fellow. I'm still busy. I'm just going to post a quick note, and I've got some panels to assemble.
My location is Gilroy, California. I don't intend to conduct any marquetry classes. I have been asked if I would like to lead classes, and there is some possibility there. There are a few places in the San Jose area that might make a suitable venue. If I do lead any classes, the subject would most likely be Cabriole leg construction, and Queen Anne furniture making. I have some other subjects in mind too. I keep meaning to get a blog going, and I will without doubt be sharing knowledge that way.
With regard to using a donkey, or chevalet de marqueterie; no, I don't use one. I used a Chevy when I studied with Patrick and Patrice at ASFM, but I don't have one myself. They're really terrific tools, but I don't intend to build one. Right now I'm using a parallel arm scroll saw, a Japanese one, Sakura. It has a 21" throat. I also have a (recent purchase) 30" Excalibur scroll saw. I do have plans to construct a more traditional saw, but I'm going to go even further back in history and build a crossbow frame-saw. I think the French name is scie à arbalète, or something like that. I have never used one of those, but I just know I want one. The scie à arbalète was Boulle's saw, so the story goes. Boulle is Andre Charles Boulle for those who don't know. He was a very famous cabinetmaker and marqueteur.
The meaning of the phrase "Boulle marquetry" as I am using it in this context means, "made using Boulle method." At ASFM, the Boulle method is required, and is the first week of instruction. I haven't got time to provide too much detail, but in a nutshell, it means that the leaves of veneer are all sawn simultaneously. A packet of veneer is constructed that resembles a sandwich in every meaningful way. This packet of different colored veneer is the workpiece. In the simplest terms, the work consists of cutting holes in the packet. The "holes" cut with the saw, are in the various shapes as detailed by the design. Next, the pieces are reasssembled, intermingling the colors. There is more to it than that, but that's the easiest way to understand the concept.
I'll post some more when I find time.
I do have a moment to share something. I do not have good pictures of saw setup, but this is even more important to me...
Trays!
You've just got to have trays. Marquetry work will punish you if you are not organized, and trays really help.
[Image: 13996088_1090378561051621_6000417425828764050_o.jpg]
[Image: 14068535_1090378587718285_6562621631703667365_o.jpg]
I was expecting some really cool chevy because I remember you studied with them. Interesting that you have your eye elsewhere.

I find people are amazed at the time and attention to detail required for the kind of stuff I do, but this (and those trays!) takes it to a whole new level.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
[Image: 15304419_1196480780441398_680686302324720681_o.jpg]
I'm beginning assembly. Here you can see premiere partie (below), and contre partie (above).
I know I sound like a broken record, but I'll say it again, "The realities of marquetry will punish you for disorganization." Be organized.
I know that not wanting a Chevy makes me a rather odd duck. Most traditional maquetarians crave (or boast about) chevys, but I don't want one. If I had one I'd use it, but I doubt I'll ever make one. The scie à arbalète is another mater. I want one, and I will build one!
Oh, yeah...Kevanzingo (rotary sliced, quilted bubinga) & maple (curly). I was quite surprised, but when sawing, the bubinga (two leaves of eight) was quite easy to smell. In fact, it was impossible not to notice.
[Image: 15419741_1196522233770586_8722155154684049316_o.jpg]
Bubinga and black.