I'm doing Boulle Marquetry
A lot of work went into that. In the interest of making it better, I cannot help but notice the asymmetry of the design. You mention the design is your own. Maybe a more symmetrical pattern could be created by using only half the pattern and flipping it. Please take or leave my advice. I do not have a single classical or traditional woodworking bone in my body.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
KyleD
The design does have the symmetry you describe. Where I chose to depart from symmetry was in the execution, not the design. As a matter of fact, I only had to draw one fourth of the design. This quarter was then reproduced four times resulting in the design. I then did the panel as a single piece. This meant that I got two panels for two leaves of veneer in the packet. Taking your idea further, the packet could be assembled using reverse diamond matches on the interior. Eight leaves could be put inside, and the symmetry (not to mention far less cutting) could be assured. This is a tradeoff. Doing the work in that manner eliminates some risk, but yields less panels. I've done that, by the way. It's very nice.
When I designed this scrollwork, I originally planned it so that the entire work could be completed with one cut. The center circle was large, so I cut a coin-sized disc out of it. That means two cuts, but the first cut (the coin-sized circle) was almost inconsequential. I got eight panels with two cuts.
In terms of design, I kept it very simple. I don't have a computer, printer, and I didn't even use a Xerox machine. Heck, I didn't even use a compass. I reproduced the design in very rudimentary fashion.
The sawing on this puppy is oafish and crude. I've been away from the saw for a very long time. I just needed to warm up, stay in the game, and try some ideas. When I began, I knew I was going to discover things that worked and things that did not. In that way, this has value.
I need to buy a computer and a printer. That's next.
Thanks Paul for the reply. Keep at it. I know from looking at your other projects there is not much you cannot master once you put your mind to it.
No matter what I do, I cannot get my signature to show up anymore.
Confused
I can't post pictures either.
I was working in my shop yesterday, thinking about what I had posted. I wondered if readers understood how I did the design from a single drawing, if they understood it was done without a printer.
I looked up at my drawing on the wall and realized, I couldn't remember it myself. I had just done it a few days before, and I had no recollection?!
Naturally, this frustrated me, and I racked my brain. "How did I do that?", I asked myself. I don't even have carbon paper.
It took me far too long, but then I remembered. I drew 1/4 of the design, glued that piece of paper to a piece of wood, and made a stencil.
I've got pictures, separately hosted on FB, but I can't put them here anymore. Without photos, I am at a disadvantage. I'd like to tell more of this story, but there's little point. I'm also assembling a floral bouquet done in painting in wood method, but nobody here can see it.
I haven't said anything, and while I'm generally grumpy, I haven't let that show online. I liked the old Woodnet better. This new one is crummy!
Some new trials:

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm going to try another photo: This design is proving very difficult to produce. The cartoon came from ASFM, but I think it originated in one of the classics. I don't really know which one.

Attached Files Image(s)

Sweet looking marquetry!
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Trying a new attachment:

Attached Files Image(s)