Push drill for scrolling?
Quick question for ya.  My wife has taken up a bit of scrolling.  She occasionally will need to drill a small pilot hole for feeding the blade through.  I have a regular power drill but she doesn't like to use that one.  I saw her trying to use one of my egg beaters the other day.. 

Anyway, I've never had or used a push drill.  Would one of these be a viable option for her to drill her hole through the 1/4 hardwood or pine or plywood or whatever she's working with?  If so, what do I need to look for to make sure it works.  If I'm not around, and she tries a tool, and it doesn't work, then she aint never touching that tool again I can promise you.

I've just never used one, didn't know if it was a good option.

Thanks fellas.
I believe the size of the holes needed for a scroll saw blade are very, very small. When at woodworking school we used a "pin drill" (also called "pin vice") for the saw blade starter hole. These are quite inexpensive and useful for drilling small holes in thin wood. I am assuming she is working with thin wood. I don't know how suitable a pin drill is for thicker wood. We were generally working with 3/32" shop-cut veneer.

David
I'm a major fan of push drills, yet am wondering whether this is the right tool.

It partly depends on hole size.  Although the standard push drill (North Bros/Stanley is the common one) will accept bits from 1/16" to 11/64", they're not optimal at the larger diameters.  For practical daily purposes, the mid-range, 1/8", is about the largest size that you can easily "push."  After that, the bit will often get stuck in place, although this might not be an issue on the thin wood in question.

One concern is that they not infrequently kick up a bit of chipping around the entry hole as you push down; and there's not really a way to start the hole delicately.

I could probably put together a drill with a bit set to send you for your wife to try; let me know if you'd like me to do that.  I would just ask you to reimburse postage (send me your ZIP code if you're interested, so I can quote you postage).

A small eggbeater could be the best solution, though: good control as you start the hole, good ergonomics.
Well, since this is in handtools, I'll try and resist the urge to recommend a Dremel, mounted in a drill press or plunge router base. 
Wink

A push drill would probably work, in the limited capacity you describe, but it wouldn't be my first choice (see first sentence).  I've done a fair amount of scrolling, so my perspective may not necessarily apply to your wife's circumstances and I often use very small numbered drills (#72 for example).  I suspect I would break a lot more of them using a push drill vs a Dremel, mounted is some sort of base.  Also, sometimes it's very critical to get the entry hole perfectly perpendicular, especially if you are drilling/scrolling thicker material.  This may be difficult to do consistently with a push drill.  Lastly, I sometimes cut patterns with hundreds of entry holes.  I can't imagine how tedious that would become with a push drill. 

Again, if you are just drilling a few 1/16" holes in some 1/4" thick material, a push drill will get the job done.  But if the holes need to be exceptionally small or if the stock is thick or if you have many holes to drill, I would go a different route.  JMHO
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Like Bill Houghton, I'm a fan of push drills. I use mine all the time. They are great for a few "quick and dirty" holes. They are simple, easy to use and non-threatening. They should work well for your wife's scrolling needs. Get her one. If she doesn't like it, you'll find hundreds of uses for it.
Ok thank you all for the suggestions.  We do have a dremel.  And she has actually used that before.  Hm.. Maybe a plunge base.  Interesting.

She likes small tools that work.  I think she would be frustrated quickly if the bits kept breaking in the push drill.