Jet 1236 Lathe
I've got a chance to purchase a Jet 1236 Wood Lathe of our local craigslist.  It looks to be in pretty good condition.  No chisels included, just the lathe.  The guy is asking $525.  Is that a fair price?
One of the ersatz Reeves drive lathes.  Many problems reported, even from people who claim they're doing regular maintenance.  I'd pass in favor of a DC powered or suitably sheaved constant speed motor.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Kind of hard to tell without a picture or two. If it's the blue version that's for sale in upper MI I'd say no. Even if it's the white color I'd say that's a little high. One in Youngstown, OH sold at auction last week for $480.00 that included about 100 bucks in accessories and I thought that way sort of high. IMO these are an under $400.00 machine.

But it all depends upon how bad you need a machine, what you want to make on it and how much you're willing to pay etc. etc. I had one of these and sold it. Not a bad machine but the table stand is a bit flimsy for out of round work and the location of the motor can present a problem on bigger pieces. For spindle work it ain't have bad.
Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA
If this is the one listed on the Northern MI list, I saw it first listed at $300 over the weekend.  It jumped to $525 in the last couple days.
I think the price is too high, I'd say $300 is fair. I have one, like it and haven't had any issues but I wouldn't ask that much for it if I sold it.
My first lathe had a reeves drive,I will never have another one.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member