Anyone open their Secret Santa Gifts yet
My Santa is a genius. He sent me incredibly useful shop helpers, all nicely handmade. First, I got a pair of these. Here's a rear view of one and a front view of the other.

[Image: i-nJtRKgL-M.jpg]

The pegs in the back fit a 1/4" pegboard. The googly eyes -- I love these -- have a personal story behind them, included in Santa's letter. But what are they for? They are for this.

[Image: i-cwSP89b-M.jpg]

A pair, though, for longer rulers. I told you he is a genius. Hey Santa -- have you been listening into my shop? The thing I say second most (right after. "ok, what did I do THAT for....?") is, "where the !@&% is my ruler?!"

Next up are these (pencil included). I assume the wood piece is a pencil holder. One thing I haven't figured out -- there's a big bevel on the back, which suggests it's meant to stand up at an angle, but it doesn't work that way. Maybe I'm missing something clever. Anyway, when I am dovetailing, my H pencil with a chisel point is a prized possession and always getting knocked around by some clown in my shop. From here on, it goes point-first into this for storage!

[Image: i-hFkKzSr-M.jpg]

Here comes the pinnacle of brilliant ideas. Guess what it is? Block of wood. Magnet on a string (shown in stored and open positions).

[Image: i-dbrB2M6-M.jpg][Image: i-P6ZG58X-M.jpg]

Think tablesaw. Magnet goes on end of arbor. Drop the arbor nut? No problem! It slides down the string and stops. No more pawing through a pile of sawdust.

Finally, this. Storage carousel. Nice!

[Image: i-SknTPwv-M.jpg]

Thank you Santa!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Happy holidays everyone. My Santa was extremely generous. I received 2 bags of shellac flakes which were surely needed, a very nice Wenzloff and Sons carcass saw and a handwrittten note. Thanks you so much Aram. I'm humbled by your generosity. I hope you have a wonderful holiday and I wish you and yours a prosperous and peaceful new year.

Jonathan

[Image: 7682fc1c-a9e4-4337-b4da-c4029c2c4d9b.jpg]m

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
I'm away from my gifts, difficult to add pics, but thanks to Deb for a Two Cherries veneer saw and two books of FWW tips. Merry Christmas!
(12-25-2016, 06:02 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: Mine came all the way from Alaska, and oh wow!  Jonathan S, I'm floored!

Thanks SO much!

Merry Christmas Steve.  Hope you enjoy the goodies. Can't wait to see that spalted pecan saw tote. 

Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
I am really floored this year with all the neat gifts and the hand made items and the rule holder is really so cool and I guess he is always watching where it goes.

Just now reading this thread I forgot to open mine up and will do so tomorrow morning.

You guys and gals are just swell and glad to know you.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I wanted to thank my SS for all the neat gifts. Molding planes are something new for me, and i hope to learn how to use them.
The sharpening book will come in handy, and what can one say about Chris Schwarz. One of the best.
Thanks for the thoughtful gifts.

[Image: 31049186034_7ab5b720bc.jpg]
[Image: 31049185454_731a08df86.jpg]

[Image: 31049187594_9aba009c0f.jpg]
A Great big Thank You!, to my Secret Santa whoever you are.

I received a great book by Graham Blackburn titled; The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Traditional Woodworking Handtools Volume 2 and a 2017 Lee Valley Woodworking Calendar. My gift was hand delivered to my house on December 23rd by Rob Lee (I think) on behalf of my Secret Santa. I am told to expect another package to follow soon. I will post again when it arrives.

I am humbled by the generosity of my fellow WoodNet Santa. Thank You again.

Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year to all of you.
Smoothplane

" Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand!"
Homer Simpson
(12-26-2016, 12:21 AM)Jonathan S Wrote: Merry Christmas Steve.  Hope you enjoy the goodies. Can't wait to see that spalted pecan saw tote. 

Jonathan

Yeah, me too!  I've got a nice piece all picked out.  It will match nicely with my dovetail and tenon saw handles, too.  It's going to be a fun spring project.  Thanks again!
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
A giant thank you to my Secret Santa! I was surprised and thrilled by his gifts. I'll admit I was cheating a little, shaking the three boxes, and I had guessed a dvd and a book for two of them. The third felt heavy and long, so, thinking back to my post about axe sharpening, I was pretty sure it was a file. Imagine how happy I was when I opened the boxes:

[Image: 432619cb-3755-41f4-b325-7bfe3dfc8237.jpg]

I'm really excited to use that carving axe. It's the model made by Robin Wood, whose blog I've been reading for years. I've been dreaming of buying one of these since they appeared. I couldn't be any more pleased by this gift! Then there is the dvd, the classic from Jogge Sundqvist teaching at Country Workshops. And then the book on spoons, which is packed full of inspirational pictures, including many more spoon designs than I had seen before. 

This is an A+ gift from my Secret Santa. Thanks a million.
To me a person can never go wrong with DVDs and Books that go with the tool given.
Yes

I am going to look up both of them and add them to my library of books and DVDs I have so others can borrow them.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.