Anyone open their Secret Santa Gifts yet
Arlin, if you have a saw vise to hold the saw plate then this equipment will, pretty much sharpen rip, crosscut and dovetail (which are rip toothed) saws.  You will need a flat file to joint the teeth and a saw set to set them (if they need it).  When I first stepped on this VERY slippery slope many years ago, I found it hard to muster the gumption to use a file on the saw teeth with confidence until I had read quite a few versions of the 'basics of saw sharpening' and watched a video or two (or ten) to be sure I wasn't destroying these beautiful instruments with my ignorance. That being said....it is difficult to use a blanket statement like "What it takes to sharpen saws?" Each one must be assessed to determine what it needs.  Once you have worked all your saws over and gotten them in condition to perform properly, then you may only need to lightly file to sharpen each as it wears and becomes dull. I have a couple saws that have remained sharp for years because they are only used for soft woods and I always wipe them down with oil cloth after use. A needle file is great for touching up a dovetail saw and there are other accessories that can enhance the results but many folks are satisfied with just the basic equipment to keep their own personal saws producing kerfs.

Don
I believe I have a saw vise but do not know for sure.  Tablesaw Tom gave it to me and I cleaned the rust off of the places and repainted it and lubed the ball so it will move easily.
When I get out of bed I will take a picture of that also.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
So a SECOND gift arrived the other day--totally unexpected--from somebody on this forum. 

[Image: Hayward%20Book%20Set%202_zpsq5bf2fsd.jpg]

[Image: Hayward%20Book%20Set%201_zpst7d9hllh.jpg]

Lost Art Press's three-volume set of The Woodworker, edited (and in part written) by Charles Hayward.  

I'm stunned!  The books are beautifully produced, and just flipping through, I can see there's a LOT of really substantial information.  I'll be reading these for a LONG time. 

I have family in town this week.  I hope they don't actually want to talk to me or anything...
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I am going to have to get those sometime.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Sooner the better, Arlin !  They really are treasures for those of us with this woodworking passion.
Secret Santa ya done good!  Thank you so much for the pen mandrel, pen blanks, and the nice letter with helpful hints.  I am sorry for the delay in posting your gift. I had to wait for company to depart.  I look forward to experimenting with some other blanks first to get experience in order to do your gift justice.

[Image: RnIniTQ.jpg]
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Is one of the blanks Purpleheart?  When I turn using it just after I finish sanding I take a heat gun and the heat brings the purple to the surface really nice.  I also use SPF 80 on them at the last finish to keep it that color for a longer time.

My SS hit the spot. I got a Japanese dozuki tailored for hardwood and plywood, and a PM-V11 spokeshave blade for my Veritas spokeshave. I sharpened up the blade and tried it out on some olivewood I saved for playing around. Like it. I know who my SS is, but I'll keep his name secret.

Thanks Secret Santa!!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Still patiently waiting for my SS package - it is well below average temperature wise here in the Great White North - maybe Canada Post lost it? Slipped away in the snow?
(01-02-2017, 10:30 PM)DaveBeauchesne Wrote: Still patiently waiting for my SS package - it is well below average temperature wise here in the Great White North - maybe Canada Post lost it? Slipped away in the snow?

Dave,

I gave your SS a poke.  I'll let you know what I find out.

cheers,
chris