Is there a consensus on job site saws?
One of my boys wants to buy his first TS.  He's used my Unisaw to build speakers, but otherwise isn't very experienced.  His budget is modest.

I suggested used contractor saws, which seem to be all over the place in availability and value, but he would rather have something lighter that could be stored more easily in his (very) modest garage shop.

I've never used a compact 'job site' type saw, ever, so I don't know enough to give any real advise other than 'use the guard and splitter', along with the other standard safety rules, which he's familiar with.

Looking at the BORG sites, I see Rigid and DeWalt.  Delta, not so sure about (not my father's Delta any more).  No stand.

The DeWalt, with the extendo fence rails, looks like a decent unit, but as I said, it's not a cabinet or old-school contractor saw, and I just don't know anything about them.

Need the most bang for the (limited) buck, but not junk that looks good in the store and doesn't perform.  

Anyone have an opinion?
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I have two thoughts: a job site saw typically uses an universal motor which is very noisy, think of a router. Secondly, they may not accept a dado set or be very limited in the width it will cut. If he plans on making a lot of rabbets and/or grooves, check the width capability.
Doing it right cost less than doing it over
I gave him a router that was surplus to my needs (not really, but I wanted to encourage him
Wink ), and he does dados and rabbets with that and a fence clamped to the work.  So no need for dado stacks, at least for now.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
The Bosch looks nice too. World the fold up stands be a benefit to him, or does he want portable like throw on a shelf portable? My money would go to the one with a dust shroud and the biggest rip capacity.
-Marc

Assuming the SS site saw is out due to budget then the 4100 is arguably the best choice outside the flesh sensing saws.
(12-08-2016, 11:57 AM)WaterlooMarc Wrote: The Bosch looks nice too. World the fold up stands be a benefit to him, or does he want portable like throw on a shelf portable? My money would go to the one with a dust shroud and the biggest rip capacity.

No stand needed or wanted.  He wants to either build his own, or clamp it to a work table.  Partly due to cost (he's a young guy, with a young child).

(12-08-2016, 12:05 PM)Huxleywood Wrote: Assuming the SS site saw is out due to budget then the 4100 is arguably the best choice outside the flesh sensing saws.

Flesh sensing is da bomb, but the money involved is not.  So that's out.  Unfortunately.

He's not interested in a circular saw and guide (kind of phobic about that technique), though a track saw would be great.  Also too costly.  And can't do miters.
Tom

Until I got my shop (garage) wired for 220v, I used a Ridgid job site saw. As long as I was using a thin kerf blade, it was fine.  It has a lot of features packed into a small space, the fence is decent, and it's well-built.  I liked the built-in mobile base as well.  It was pretty noisy compared to my PM2000.  I think that's to be expected with the kind of motor it has.  The DC port is a 2-1/2" port, so you'll need a shop vac for dust collection.  I recommend adding a Dust Deputy or equivalent to minimize the times you gotta empty the shop vac.  Another drawback is the tables on all job site saws are pretty small.  It's not something you'd want to use for breaking down sheet goods without additional supports and outfeed tables.  IIRC, Ridgid and Bosch got the best ratings on job site saws in the last text I saw published.  The next step up is a contractor's saw.  Better fences, larger cast iron tables, etc.  If he doesn't need the mobility, I'd seriously consider looking for a good used contractor's saw.

FWIW, it took me less than 8 hours to sell the Ridgid on CL.  The guy was so anxious to buy it, he camped outside my home for 2 hours until I got home from work.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I've not had experience with the jobsite type saws, but Bosch has impressed me with their miter saws (one which I own) and their drills (which I own). Otherwise, and given the limitations of these types of saws, I would vote for Bosch and Dewalt, the latter which I don't own, but have fondled in the stores. But as they say, cheap is cheap...... I'd rather he go with a contractor's saw.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(12-08-2016, 12:12 PM)TDKPE Wrote: He's not interested in a circular saw and guide (kind of phobic about that technique), though a track saw would be great.  Also too costly.  And can't do miters.

Mine can.  It tilts, and you can use the short track placed at any angle you want.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-08-2016, 01:40 PM)Admiral Wrote: ...... I'd rather he go with a contractor's saw.

Me too.

(12-08-2016, 01:42 PM)AHill Wrote: Mine can.  It tilts, and you can use the short track placed at any angle you want.

I meant for small stock, like trim.  He doesn't (yet) have a miter saw, and cuts miters by hand.  But a quick and dirty miter sled can be banged out for common angles on a TS for next to nothing, which is a good dollar amount at this time.
Yes
Tom