Any hand saw horders here?
I've got upwards of a 100, but I'm neither a hoarder or collector. Every single one may get used-someday-maybe-probably not?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Clearly no hoarders here, but there sure are a lot of collectors!
I'm no horder.... but I do have a lot of saws.  I love em.  'Bout ten or eleven years ago I had to cut down on my sawdust intake so hand tools became my thang.  Found a little D-23, had a pro sharpen it for me...and I was so impressed I struck up a 2 month conversation with him and...dang...I started sliding down this slope...and still can't stop.  Once you know what they are made of, the dynamics of the design & function....then it's hard (near impossible) to walk past one at a swap meet and leave it to rust, get stepped on or painted and put on a damned wall over a pool table!!  So I rescue them, bring them to my nice warm shop...dispense some TLC and make em smile and sing.....then I give em to some novice woodworker and watch him/her smile when they realize what they have in their hands.  Now, I have a nice table saw and a top o the line miter/chop saw...that I have a hard time remembering what they sound like.  It is just a very satisfying activity to restore, sharpen and USE a vintage handsaw as it was meant to be used. It has added a profound joy to my woodworking passion....to just hold one while it cuts through wood with just the weight of my hand and the saw propelling it straight and true. And to know that it probably did this very thing for some craftsman or homebuilder (housewright) 60 or 100 years ago...gives it the aura of honor,,,,making me & my shop feel honor.
Thanks for asking!  
Cool
Ok, I'm bidding on split nut saws on eBay and I want to know who is bidding against me. They just keep bidding up the price above my sweet spot and I'm tired of loosing. I'm sure there are a ton of eBay bidders on here, but dang guys, give a brother a break, please.
FWIW, it isn't me. Seriously.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
I've only got about 250 maybe a few more than that... I don't know if I'm a hoarder, I prefer to think I run a home for wayward saws. Kind of like Boystown, yeah we'll call it sawtown.
(12-10-2016, 06:27 PM)Dayle1960 Wrote: Ok, I'm bidding on split nut saws on eBay and I want to know who is bidding against me.  They just keep bidding up the price above my sweet spot and I'm tired of loosing.  I'm sure there are a ton of eBay bidders on here, but dang guys, give a brother a break, please.

About 4 years ago I 'flipped' a couple of big Disston 12's and a big Simonds saw.   They sold to a couple of different e&ay ID's.  But upon payment they were the same buyer despite differing user-ID's.  It was an ultra-wealthy guy over in Thailand who was searchable via the web.    I wasn't sure if he's a collector or a conterfeiter or what...

Chris
Chris
I just rehabbed a un-named saw I bought off of eBay for $3.00. Yea a buy it now three buck ebay saw. I saw it and immediately purchased it because it has three split nuts. It was the first split nut saw I rehabbed and was quite surprised at how small the spit nuts really were. They shined up very nicely and look good with the stain I used on the handle. Plus the gloss spray paint and bees wax I used on the handle made it come out silky smooth. The hardest part was getting the rust off of the blade. Took a few hours to get it respectable looking, but underneath the black crud was the signs of pitting. Not too bad(deep) but it goes from heel to toe.

But overall I am well pleased with how it turned out. Now I'm off for my next sub $5 saw.
You Know I've Got So Many At Flea Mkts Its unreal And cheap take time to bring them back to life going through files gee wish i could find some good  files pay more for the files to sharpen them than the saws.
my loving son used one the other day and smiled and has said gee dad they sure don,t make them like this  it was one of my D-9 's he did comment on the age of the saw . he did mention it to one of the oldest people on his crew 
he did comment on "do you have any idea what that saw is worth"
south vietnam war collage
I'm hoarding all 4 of mine- and no, you can't have them!  
Laugh