Any hand saw horders here?
I've taken up the (habit) sport of collecting hand saws.  My first on was a Disston #115 with the globe near the handle.  My wife picked it up at a Restore shop for five bucks.  What a deal, huh?  Since then my collection has grown to about twenty saws and the bug has bit me hard.  I've gotta stop or I'll have to build a second saw till.  Right now I'm into pre-civil war saws with split nuts.  Any recommendations on how to manufacture a split nut removal tool?  I've seen one with a hunk of metal with the obligatory gap between two tangs, but was wondering if anybody has a better idea which would be inexpensive.

Any saws which would be good collectibles?  Opinions, stories, or pics would be welcome.

Thanks.
I do my best to avoid them, but the thrift store Under-$5 bargains are too hard to resist. 
Winkgrin
Laugh
Big Grin
I made a split nut driver out of an old spade drill but. Grinder, file, easy and cheap.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Guilty as charged..... only about 30 saws, try to limit myself.  Use a small square of thin saw plate mounted on a dowel. (cut slit in end of the dowel and epoxy) use a small file and make a U cut in the end.  It's real hard to beat a good Victory saw, the steel files very smooth and the plates polish brighter than any another saws I own.  The victory's made during the WW2 era are lacking in steel quality than the others, beware. My favorite saw I own is an Atkins #52 no-set cabinetmakers saw. It easily runs with no set vs my acme 120 that does not....
I don't know if it qualifies me as a "hoarder" or not, but I have around 100 saws. I have a couple of bits for split nut. I believe one can from Tools For Working Wood and the other came from Lee Valley. Both work very, very well.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Hording? Dunno. What is a horde of saws?
1000? Well I certainly don't have that many.
500? Gosh, no.
100? Uh, did we decide on a number yet?
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
At last count (and more have shown up at my door since), I had accumulated about 220 saws. Some are users. Some are awaiting restoration. Some are merely good as parts donors.

Blackburn Tools has a really nice split nut wrench for under $20. He uses scraps of saw plates that are cut to shape and inserted in a nice brass handle. I borrowed his idea and made one from a small card scraper. The notch is formed with a fine file. The neat thing about using saw plates or shim stock is that it comes in a whole range of thicknesses, so it is easy to match the width of the screw slot.

Saw Nut Spanner Wrench
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
I have around 100 or so. About 30 are still in waiting for a good restoration. Most are Disston's from pre 1918, but there are lots of English saws also. My personal favorites are my collection of English brass back saws. I have over a dozen.

I also have a fleet of Foley saw sharpeners, retoothers and setters. Wonderful machines.

The Blackburn tools split nut driver is wonderful. Love it. I just wish he'd get more of his other tools made.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
If 'hand saw' includes backed saws, bow saws, and logging saws I've got 73.

Now if my wife would just let me dig a pit so I can use the pit saw...
That slope is so slippery. When I was an apprentice I bought a Disston D-9, their best and Sandvik #280, also their best for over $40  each. That was a lot of money for an apprentice.  When I see a #280 for $5 at the fleamarket I can't help myself. Some saws are just bought for harvesting the nuts.
A man of foolish pursuits