Hard maple vs soft maple?
Narman doing a drop leaf, old school style. I grew up with all these principles. Today a lot of folks poo poo grain direction, and alternating grain on panel glue ups. Hint, it gets done either way, the difference may be in 75 years
Big Grin  He is also showing a good option for holding your leaf up in this vid.

Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Narman doing a drop leaf, old school style. I grew up with all these principles. Today a lot of folks poo poo grain direction, and alternating grain on panel glue ups. Hint, it gets done either way, the difference may be in 75 years
Big Grin  He is also showing a good option for holding your leaf up in this vid.

And yeah for D handle routers
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Thanks for the video Steve hat helps
I've used both types of maple for panel cabinet doors and have found soft maple to be less stable.  I built some vanity doors with soft and they twisted two days after completion, before they left the shop.  Ive never had that happen with hard maple, oak, cherry, alder etc,  just soft maple and poplar.  I no longer use those for any doors- paint grade or otherwise.
I know this has nothing to do with end grain cutting boards, just my observation of soft vs hard maple.