Genius Carpentry from 18th Century France
Okay, if this doesn't make you disassemble your Roubo workbench and grind your chisels to a flat edge, I'm not sure what will.

http://www.historicalcarpentry.com/l-art-du-trait.html

The French L'Art du Trait uses drawing techniques to create three dimensional geometric forms without the math of abstract geometry.  It is called "the alchemy of solids." 

I know that the staircase builders in the antebellum south -- most of them slaves -- employed similar methods to create the sweeping arcs moving in two dimensions through space. 

Forgive me if I'm just now finding something that has made previous appearances here. 

Greg
I didn't know it's name, but had seen this before. I find so many Chris Schwarzlike generated thoughts about Andre Roubo, and his writing something about math and a relationship with architecture, and all of a sudden a guy who signs his name with an X is an advanced degree mathematician. Call them enlightenments, cheats, or just good juju. Everything through history has sprung from a simple thought. Mathematicians just try to make it appear without using math, they could never have figured that out. I've said this before, and been harried by the Schwarzites

Thanks for posting.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
gregbois
Thank you for an interesting link.
:-)
The creative mind does not follow mathematics. The math follows the creative/ visionary mind. Thanks for the link. Just wish I could understand French.
Smile
BontzSawWorks.net
(12-10-2016, 01:35 AM)RonB1957 Wrote: The creative mind does not follow mathematics. The math follows the creative/ visionary mind. Thanks for the link. Just wish I could understand French.
Smile

This...... and that is certainly a very detailed creative way to sketch in very fine details.... kudos to those guys who first worked it out centuries ago...
Skip

How brilliant they were without modern computers to do it for them.
Nice article ; thanks for posting.
Simpler versions of 3D geometric constructions were used by the ancient Greeks; who also invented most of our basic mathematics.
Not sure how Chris Scwarz figures in this
The more I think about the material in this thread, the more I am convinced it will assist me in understanding this book: http://www.editionsvial.com/fiche-produi...d_livre=65
Greg,
Thank you for a very interesting link.

That sure kicks the [bleep] out of the orthographic and isometric drawing that they taught us in woodshop.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.