Sign Finish Help
Just finished up this sign for a buddy of mine who is just finishing up renovating his restaurant and put in a new bar from reclaimed barn wood and cider barrel wood. He knows I'm making a sign, but doesn't know what it looks like or how I'm finishing it. The sign will be hung in the bar so I included a picture.

Now, I'm struggling with how to finish it. Do I stain, tung oil, or just poly? Any help is
appreciated.

[Image: A077E508-6069-4F3C-9C8A-4A343CBFEDB9.jpg]

[Image: D8F07FA0-CD98-4B98-B013-FF01F0D13047.jpg]
I would let it match the panels and not stain it.  Personally, I would use wipe on poly.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Good looking sign although I think it could use some stain, say on the bands, to have more contrast and depth.

BTW.....welcome aboard.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I cannot tell from the pic is it etched, or is there depth to the pattern? If it is etched I agree to simply put a natural coat on it, and let the etch show itself like it does in the pic, plus it would match the decor of the place as it is now. If there is depth to it I feel it would have a much bigger impact to put in color (probably paint) to highlight the details, and after the color dries, put a natural coat over the remainder to tie it back to the decor as it is now. Any color except blue, lest it get lost against the blue wall, reds, greens, yellows, etc.

Something like this, but not with blue......

[Image: beasleyfamily.jpg]
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I would leave it looking natural and aged. How are the restaurant reclaimed wood treated in the image you provided? Maybe frame it and do the frame to match how the wood in the restaurant wraps around the vertical boards? Just a suggestion...beautiful work by the way.
Nice sign! I would explore staining part of the sign so the name stands out- some contrast.

Thanks guys. I went ahead and just hit it with some rung oil from my late grandfathers stash....it just felt right. I also shaded/burned in the "cidermill" letter to break it up a bit. I'lol do another coat tomorrow.

[Image: 2880F091-70E8-408C-8483-102AC1CB562D.jpg]