Good plane-adjusting hammer?
(12-12-2016, 02:22 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: The opposite is true: most people adjust their metal planes, not using a hammer. Rob Cosman, Paul Sellers, and many many more have never been seen using a hammer on their metal planes.

But I use a hammer for fine adjustments as I find it more precise than using my fingers to tune (my planes are all Veritas (Norris style)).

Both approaches work just fine.

Simon

Just to be clear, metal low angle jacks, block planes, shoulder planes and others do not have built in angle-of-the-blade adjusters and a tiny tap from a small, gentle hammer is a help.
(12-10-2016, 04:25 PM)overland Wrote: Is there a good hammer out there for plane adjusting that has metal on one side and wood on the other? That way I can adjust the iron and the wedge with the same tool. Any recommendations?
I just use any hammer that's handy..I don't care about that end of the iron........
Crazy

Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Just to be clear, metal low angle jacks, block planes, shoulder planes and others do not have built in angle-of-the-blade adjusters and a tiny tap from a small, gentle hammer is a help.

???

They do.

E.g. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.as...5204,47881

You hit the lateral adjust to set the parallelism.

Simon