Good plane-adjusting hammer?
Is there a good hammer out there for plane adjusting that has metal on one side and wood on the other? That way I can adjust the iron and the wedge with the same tool. Any recommendations?
I use the Veritas Wile plane hammer, a gift from a good friend. $42.50.

If you are looking for an economical. less fancy alternative, search eBay:
Nylon, Brass & Fiber Head/ Face Chasing Hammer, under $10
HAMMER 5 INTERCHANGEABLE FACES. under $15

Simon
Here is one I made for my Secret Santa recipient last year. It is cut from a piece of brass hex stock and fitted with a button of lignum vitae on one side. The handle is walnut.

[Image: 30718670184_5cd7eea22f_c.jpg]

[Image: 31413093212_9f98e6096b_c.jpg]
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Beautiful, even stunning. Bravo.
Don't get confused, all sorts of hammers will do. Budget choice 

http://t.harborfreight.com/watchmakers-h...99895.html
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Why does one side have to be metal?  Can't you use a plastic or other firm face on the iron and the wedge both?
The brass ballpean that Lie-Nielsen used to have is apparently no longer available, so I bought and use one of these for aligning plane blades

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VX9...UTF8&psc=1
I have a couple outstanding brass hammers that I have received from WoodNetters. They work fantastic.

However, before I owned those, I just used a chunk of brass roundbar that I had bought from the local Metal By The Foot company. About 1 1/2" diameter and 3" long. No handle, nothing fancy, but it works great. Brass is recommended because it is softer that plane irons, so the plane iron won't get dinged up.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
(12-10-2016, 09:54 PM)Bill Lyman Wrote: The brass ballpean that Lie-Nielsen used to have is apparently no longer available, so I bought and use one of these for aligning plane blades

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VX9...UTF8&psc=1

Bill

That is a good design, however 4 oz is too light for a plane hammer. I made one very similar to that (with one nylon on one end). It weighs 7 oz. That's what you need to aim for.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
The weight is not as critical as how much force you apply to the blade. I have used the Wile hammer which is under 4 oz as well as heavier ones (8 oz) and I have not found any diffèrence once I adjust to the force relative to their weights.

A heavier hammer may be better when hitting a wooden plane though.

Simon