Good plane-adjusting hammer?
Hi Simon

I have a light (about 4 oz) jeweller's hammer, which is good for the lateral adjustment of Stanley/LN/Veritas Bailey-style plane blades. It is far too light for a woodie. As I mentioned before, 7-8 oz is needed for a woodie to loosen a wedge.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(12-11-2016, 10:31 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Hi Simon

I have a light (about 4 oz) jeweller's hammer, which is good for the lateral adjustment of Stanley/LN/Veritas Bailey-style plane blades. It is far too light for a woodie. As I mentioned before, 7-8 oz is needed for a woodie to loosen a wedge.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Hi Derek:
That is why I have the 4 oz. Mine are LNs.
Bill
How did you attach the wood button? Cut threads or epoxy? Thanks, Ed
Grace makes an 8-oz brass hammer with nylon on one face. Would that be OK for adjusting a wood plane? Is nylon harder or softer than wood?
(12-11-2016, 11:22 AM)dry heat Wrote: How did you attach the wood button? Cut threads or epoxy? Thanks, Ed

I machined a pocket into the end of the brass using a metal lathe and turned the lignum vitae on a wood lathe to get a tight fit. It was then epoxied in place.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
I have this hammer from Lee Valley -

[Image: 50k5601s1.jpg]

Weighs 8 oz. and the wooden insert is replaceable, but I haven't found that necessary as long as I don't lose my temper.
(12-11-2016, 10:31 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Hi Simon

Regards from Perth

Derek

We're on the same page here, Derek.

I use the LV 8 oz plane hammer, also a gift, for my wooden planes.

Simon
I've got a Grace 8oz with a steerhide 'pad' glued on one end.
It does the job. I find that setting depth really depends on 'backing out' the blade

Lighter hammers don't have enough oomph for my larger planes.
Here is my woodie plane hammer (it also makes a great mallet for dovetail chisels) with a 7 oz brass head. One end is nylon. Jarrah handle.

[Image: Plane-hammer5_zpsde2f0e5c.jpg]

[Image: Plane-hammer3_zps5e0722fb.jpg]

[Image: Plane-hammer4_zps372ff918.jpg]

The other (jeweller's) hammer weighs in around 4 oz for the whole enchilada. This one was purchased on eBay.

Along with it in the picture is a hex driver for the chipbreaker in a Veritas Custom plane. This makes adjusting the chipbreaker very easy.

[Image: Custom-plane-tools1a_zpsa5jitese.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Thanks to everyone who's responded.  This has clarified what I need for adjusting my wood planes. I do have a 4 oz. hammer with a nylon head that was just too small--I found myself always reaching for something with more heft. But what I find especially interesting here is that it seems many people don't use the lateral adjustments on their metal planes but adjust the iron with a small hammer. I hadn't thought of that.