Removing glue II
Rather than change the direction of a post I decided to start a new one. Hopefully it will help more people in a new post than on page 3 of an older one.

I am the one out in left field. If a person reads the label, they will find that water is the solvent for the glue. Water thins the glue. And wood that is dry wants to go back to its original state. Therefore the wood will absorb the water and thinned glue. Which makes finishing much more difficult. If it is a joint that will be seen I do what ever I can prevent the problem, but they do happen so I use every means to fix the problem other than by using a wet rag. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I know that every one knows that an acid brush is the thing that is used to apply and spread glue with. But I use artist brushes to apply glue. The kind used to paint with acrylic paint. They can be found in the craft section at Walmart, Kmart, Hobby Lobby, or a store like that. The ones in a package with different brush points is a better buy down the road, although more expensive. They make it much easier to control glue amount and they also offer pin point accuracy.

Unless the application warrants the joint to be waterproof I use titebond one. It is less expensive and easier to deal with. The claim is the joint is stronger than the wood. So if the wood around the joint will fail before the joint, why use the stronger glue?  Warrant means one doesn't need snow tires if driving in Death Valley in the summer time.

Although the acrylic brush is more expensive, it can be cleaned in water much more easily and reused over and over again. It also helps control the amount of glue applied in the joint, hence glue squeeze out. Excess glue is also easily wiped from the brush with a paper towel and can also be washed out of the brush with water during application if necessary. And yes, sooner or later, and probably sooner than later, the person applying the glue will space off cleaning the brush and move on with the project. Later when the brush is found, in a day or two, the glue in the brush is as hard as a rock. When it happens and it will happen, just place the brush in small cup of water for a day or so and glue will dissolve in it solvent and can be cleaned as though it never happened. Now the brush is less expensive. Titebond II also dissolves in water although it takes longer. I don't know about 3, hardly ever use it.

Gift card, the plastic kind that look like credit cards, also work very well for spreading glue. The are free if one doesn't pay to activate them. Old credit cards, although tempting, are better off destroyed.

I hope a lot will respond with the different means in which they use to fix the problem when it occurs. I also hope some will spend the $5 for the brushes and try them

On a personal note: If a joint will be seen or finish applied I will not use a wet rag. If you think a wet rag is the way to go because Norm did it on a TV show or you read it, even on the label go for it. 
Again if the problem happen more than once why would a person keep repeating the process and expect different results?

Tom
Good post, though as you read in the other one the wet cloth or other instruments are not causing those who do it any problem. It did for me, and I stopped doing it (wet rag). Your opinion on the artists brushes is interesting and I will have to give that a try.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I've never used a wet rag to remove glue from wood. Just let it dry somewhat and scrap it off, then sand.

Acid brushes. That's what I use when I use a brush. Cheap, and washable. I keep a small vegetable can of water nearby to put the brush in when done and let it soak before cleaning it up.
If one brush gets to dry, sticky, nasty, whatever, I just grab another dry brush.
Occasionally I use an old CC as a glue distributor when I have a large area of glue to spread.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Thanks for the tips, Tom.  I'm making "scrabble" type name plaques and my mock ups were too messy with the acid brushes.  Going out later and get some acrylic brushes.

Steve
Tom, can u post a link to the type of brushes you use? Thanx.
Not yet working with stuff small enough for an artist's brush, so I use either Rockler's glue brush or acid brushes - whichever I can find 1st.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(12-11-2016, 02:38 PM)RJT123 Wrote: Tom, can u post a link to the type of brushes you use? Thanx.

Something like these, by the description
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I don't know how to do quotes with the new soft ware But when I read this (Not yet working with stuff small enough for an artist's brush) I think you misunderstand. Usually I buy a package of them like pencils. I misplace them. One can buy them that are 3/4 of an inch wide.  I am a large project orientated person. And I don't have time to mess around when gluing a dovetailed cedar chest together So It is not just the pointed little water color brushes I am talking about.  Usually they are somewhat chiseled. And they stay firm in the glue. Brushes used for oil paint go limp. If one was going to apply varnish then a brush used for latex paint would not be a good choice. The brushes are also good at picking up glue if to much goes on. The smaller ones slide in a groove very nicely.

After over 45 years of wood working I am trying to pass what I have learned about what works. After I found them I  never went back to an acid brush.  It is not like I am recommending a $400 item that can brake the bank. It is probably less than a meal at MC Donald's .

Some people think that putting glue on only one gluing surface is good enough. Others will say both surfaces should be coated. And I am not going to get into that discussion, but all that is needed is a film of glue on the surface(s), not a layer 1/6 of an inch thick. The glue in question is not gap filling and will not cure bad craftsmanship. Take dovetails, one needs enough glue but all that happens to the rest is squeeze out. The acrylic brush helps limit the amount of glue better and the plastic gift card takes off excess glue very nicely. It fits in dovetails nicely and helps remove the glue before it becomes a problem. And it cleans up with a wet paper towel beautifully so it can be used to remove more glue.

If one is gluing all four sides of a dovetailed blanket chest that is 12 inches wide by themselves a person doesn't have time to mess around, but being sloppy isn't a real choice either.

The truth is some will defend the acid brush without trying something new and that is fine. Some will half heartedly try the acrylic brush and go back to the acid brush and that is fine also. Some will view it with an open mind and will end up pleasantly surprised and some will add it to the acid brush and have more options. No matter how it is received, I have pasted on what I believe to be good sound knowledge of what works. Why? because when I pass on the some total of everything I know is lost forever.

I live 17 miles from the nearest stop light. I do need to get some more brushes so give me a few days and I will pick some up and take a picture of them. and post it here so please check back.  But the bristles are plastic so they don't go limp in water.

Tom

Tom
I missed the link but Steve N posted a link. Yes the acrylic ones. The ones that were kind of rust colored. They do come in different colors though. I am not sure about the brushes for water colors. But an old Nave saying any port in the storm applies. The ones for oil are worthless for spreading glue but would be good for pigmented oil stain or other oil finishes.

I usually buy them at the store because I seem to have a better selection and don't have to buy the others, just acrylic brushes. That keeps the price around $5 not $10. The truth is I never thought of looking on Amazon for them.

Notice how the tips are kind of chiseled for getting into tighter places. 

Anyway I hope you like them.

Tom
I use acid brushes for different purposes.  If I need thin brush I cut some of the hair off of both sides or even trim the end down to where is it easier to use.

Also there are a lot of stiff cards out there that are not Credit cards and I have my wife keep all of them.
I do not apply a very much on the outside of the glue area but just a very thin area so if there is squeeze out it is a very small amount or I apply tape on the edges so it does not get on the rest of the wood.

I, however, have glued up anything important that would hinder or show the glue since I turn everything I glue together.
I do find Tape is the best thing to use and not worry later about.

I also think to many people put to much clamp pressure on the wood and squeeze out all or most of the glue anyway where the pro's just say to give it enough clamping pressure to keep the joint together.  I used to clamp the snot out of it until I found while turning some voids where the glue squeezed out.

I still have A LOT to learn tho about it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.