basic hand tool kit for building furniture by hand?
Anything by Chris Schwarz is great. Also, look at "Working Wood" by Paul Sellers.
Brent

Coming at ya from the Bayou State.
A knife. Possibly BSA style.

A carpenter's square.

A screw driver.

A saw

Pencils and paper. A twelve-inch rule/straight edge.

One tape measure

Claw Hammer.

Monkey wrench, and basic pliers.

Lots of nails.....

Box of Band aids

..... Wait! That's the kid version. ... However, still can't live without.

BTW, is this your third resurrection?
Yes I still for the city, I fell on hardtimes,  Lost my shop and everything, I am trying to come back this way thou. I am enroll in community college part time.
Even without a shop (will you work outdoors, in the house/apartment?) you would be happy to have a track saw, rather than have to cut everything by hand.
Wood is good. 
I'm curious about doing the same. I have a nearly full complement of stationary power tools but want to start learning to use hand tools once I get my new shop set up in the coming months. I've been perusing YouTube videos, searching "basic wood working hand tools" or something similar. You'll find a lot of answers there, explanations, and varying opinions on the subject. Most though, appear to be fairly similar.
Semper fi,
Brad

If you have a specific project in mind, I would use that to determine what tools you need. Tools specific to a project will be used in the future, but help you not drop any extra money getting started. Obviously this philosophy doesn't work very well if you're out rust hunting and don't know what you will find, but should work great in the swap and sell forum.
A sturdy cardboard box to put everything in. Worked for me coming on 50 years. 
Cool
CJ

If I remember right you were selling some of the hand tools people gave you.  Water will not destroy a tool just start rusting but your tools should have been on a bench above the water right?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Yes, that's been over 5 years ago.
Well just remember all the tools everyone gave you and think of the ones you used all the time and just get those.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.