Random Orbital Sander
(12-12-2016, 11:08 PM)macpiano Wrote: John, if you're recommending it I'm all in. Does it come with the 5 inch disk or the 6 inch disk? Does the kit include both?

thanks
Gary

The kit contains both the 5" and 6" pads.  Frankly, I use the 6" pad 95% of time because it gets the job done quicker and I think the balance is better.  As someone pointed out, the sander is fairly tall; with the 5" pad it seems a little too tall to me.  Having said that, I've never had a problem with it gauging, etc.; it just feels more stable to me with the 6" pad.  I only use the 5" pad with media that only comes in 5" disks.  

I'm sure the Festool and Mirka sanders are fine machines.  I've just never had reason to look further after I bought the ROS65VC, which costs substantially less and has the best on board canister of any sander according to FWW.  I don't know if they ever made a ROS65, but the one I'm talking about is the ROS65VC, the VC of which stands for Vibration Control.  I can run the thing as long as I want without my hands tingling or being tired, as they used to get from my old B&D pad sander.  It is easy to use with one hand on large surfaces, though I typically use both hands on faceframes and in other critical situations.  Being able to sand the joints on faceframes with no swirl marks, cross grain sanding marks, or gauges, easily, was a true eye opener for me.  I haven't used my old pad sander since; in fact, I gave it away. 

John
(12-14-2016, 10:54 AM)frigator Wrote:  I have seen those fesstool boom arms and the canvas hose covering which is supposed to help keep the ribbed hose from catching on the workpiece. Anyone tried those. I cant imagine what one of those costs. 

The boom arm for the CT is about $350 and the hose/power cord/sleeve in a Systainer runs $250-$375.  You can recreate both of these for very little, boom arm ideas are all over the web and flexible hose cover runs about $10-20 to cover a hose and cord.  Both make life a lot easier with any tool and for tools without detachable cords like Mirka and Festool you can use velocro wraps to hold the power cord to the hose.
(12-14-2016, 03:07 PM)jteneyck Wrote:  I've just never had reason to look further after I bought the ROS65VC, which costs substantially less and has the best on board canister of any sander according to FWW.  I don't know if they ever made a ROS65, but the one I'm talking about is the ROS65VC, the VC of which stands for Vibration Control.    

John

When did FWW test the ROS65VC (all the ROS65 are VC) against any Festool ROS?
(12-14-2016, 10:02 AM)Huxleywood Wrote: While you are the first I have seen express the issue I certainly can see it.  Using the brushless sanders means more emphasis on cord/hose control, have you tried a boom arm (either Festool or shop built) to help support the hose, I assume you are using a 27mm vacuum hose.  Though I had never really thought about it would be nice to have a whip like one has on an HVLP gun but it is easier to make a light weight hose to resist pressure than vacuum.

Dang autocorrect! yes I do use mine with a BOOM (that's what the "book" was supposed to say in my original post) and the sleeved hose. I find in order to use the EC brushless sander I have to use a two hand grip. One on the sander itself and another holding the hold/cord combination to act as a counterweight of sorts. It is still a good sander don't get me wrong, it is leaps and bounds above my old 333's. It's just that given the choice I would take the older ETS 150's all day long. I can and have sanded for hours on end with just one hand and the weight of the sander is great. I should also add that I build furniture and 99% of the time I sand flat on the bench. If I were sanding vertically I'm sure the much lighter weight of the EC would be a distinct advantage. I also really like the instant stop on the pad. Now if they made the old style sander with the pad brake I would be happy as a clam.
-Marc

Another vote for the Mirka Ceros sander.  When I bought it I was shaking my head over the cost.  After having it for a year or so I wouldn't be without it.  It stopped all complaints about dust in the house (basement shop).  I get no hand fatigue anymore and the small size is much easier to handle.

The dust collection is nothing short of amazing with my Fein TurboII vacuum.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
I found this as a hose cover.

https://www.amazon.com/Festool-Dakota-To...flex+sleev

Are there cheaper solutions?
(12-15-2016, 10:33 AM)frigator Wrote: I found this as a hose cover.

https://www.amazon.com/Festool-Dakota-To...flex+sleev

Are there cheaper solutions?

Yes.  First, there are a ton of mainland China sellers on eBay it just takes a couple of weeks to arrive but is dirt cheap, I use https://www.wirecare.com/category/braide.../flexo-pet  they have a wide variety of colors and sizes and also sell the large heat shrink to cover the ends. Some people just use tape to secure the ends.
(12-14-2016, 04:49 PM)Huxleywood Wrote: When did FWW test the ROS65VC (all the ROS65 are VC) against any Festool ROS?

It took a long while to find it:  FWW review
+1 Mirka Ceros

Lonnie
I have had a Bosch 1250DEVS 6.5 amp sander for years. This anti vibe model has half the amps. I imagine a lot of the anti vibe is from that alone. That 6" I have is a bronco, but still much easier on my arms than that damned Festool 6" Rotex. For me those are instant numb hands, quickly progressing to numb arms, and I'm a stout 300# lad. I can take a whippin, just not a Rotex whippin
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh I can use my Bosch for a few hours before I have to throw in the towel.

I would love to compare the anti vibe model against mine, but the entrance fee just to try it, is too steep. I was at a woodworking show a few weeks ago, but the Bosch guy was a tightazz, and wouldn't demo this sander. I took that to mean he was an person, or the sander had problems. From other stuff he did, I was leaning toward person.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW