New ICS Sawstop a little rant
I saw the carnage on a unisaw top when an operator using the saw top and outfeed table for cutting an arch template with a router and cut too deep 

It was only a few thousandths of an inch deep but _highly_ visible to this day.  he said there were no sparks but something smelled hot when he was done 

I would have loved to see his face when he discovered what he did and while he was explaining to the boss how it happened
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I have been in contact with SS, but no resolution as of yet. Don't know that there will be.

I'm going to ignore several of the last posts.

My biggest beef is that I haven't even cut any exotics yet, which are much harder and may contain silica.

I do appreciate the info on the PM cast iron properties.

Don't expect me to pop in here and give updates unless something unexpected happens. Your welcome to PM me if you have any serious questions.
Furniture...The Art of a Furnituremaker

Earl Kelly
(01-09-2017, 12:41 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: I have no dog in this fight, but doesn't this picture look very clearly like there is a scratch going across the top, and then it abruptly stops?  And doesn't it also look in the picture light there is a color change right at that point?  As if there is plastic or another material covering the top?

Isn't this far more likely than some kind of Chinese cast iron conspiracy?

Bad picture is hard to tell. What are you digging for Strokes77???
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Quote:I'm going to ignore several of the last posts.

I do not know why you would do that. it would be easy enough to say that is not what happened. 

Once upon a time people came here looking for solutions and even the most off base ones have on occasion proven to be valid

JMO
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I've never looked for scratches- I just cut.
(01-09-2017, 12:41 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: I have no dog in this fight, but doesn't this picture look very clearly like there is a scratch going across the top, and then it abruptly stops?  And doesn't it also look in the picture light there is a color change right at that point?  As if there is plastic or another material covering the top?

The scratch ends where the bevel on the side of the table starts.  Makes sense that something dragged flat across the table will only scratch until it reaches the bevel.

As a metallurgical engineer, I would postulate a mistake happened during the heat treating process.  A soft table would still pass the machining and/or grinding process without the manufacturer knowing if the heat treat was good.  I doubt they do hardness tests on every casting.  This is something SS needs to address.  If it happened to the OP's table, who knows how many other saws may have had the same issue?  Maybe that's why they are taking their time answering.  I'd press the issue.  There's no reason for them to take so long to replace the table.  I'd tell them I posted about this on a highly frequented woodworking forum and maybe they'll pay attention.  The holidays are over.  It's time for SS to get back to work!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill

That's the bevel on the edge of the top.  I wouldn't expect wood to contact the bevel in normal operation, hence the sudden stop to the scratch.

Edit: Didn't see that Allan had already mentioned this.
I deleted my tacky posts.  Continue the investigation.  

Good luck to OP.
If I got no satisfaction, and it was a local store, I'd think about putting the top in the bed of my pickup, and set up a show and tell in front of the store.
Not to mention, I would be talking about it on every woodworking sight in the world!

If I was the selling store owner, I would call Saw Stop, and try to get them to spring for a new top, and if needed, offer to throw in a few bucks, to get the customer a new top.

That top just isn't right, and should be replaced. A decent company wouldn't have a problem replacing it. It's defective.

I bet Horrible Freight would take it back!
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
I'd send them a certified letter with all information and demands/requests followed by a phone call. Express how many days they have to respond until you decide they are refusing address your dissatisfaction with their product.

A small step, but it usually gets their attention quickly.