New ICS Sawstop a little rant
(12-15-2016, 03:49 PM)Bill Lyman Wrote: +1. I have had my ICS for 9 years and although the top is no  longer pristine, it takes minimal buffing and polishing to stay clean and it does not have scratches of any note. If I were you I would take Fred's advice and call them and send their customer service a photo. SS customer service is very good.

On Wed I was at the dealer and spoke with him about this again and he called Sawstop while I was there. And basically they said cast iron scratches, get over it. The dealer is coming out to inspect it himself.

No pics yet. I'll take some when I clean it off, it has Boeshield and paste wax on it now, before applying the Renaissance Wax.
Furniture...The Art of a Furnituremaker

Earl Kelly
Please don't take this the wrong way, just a curiousity question on my part. There's no chance there was pieces of grit of some kind embedded in the wood that caused the scratches, was there?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
OK Guys, hope this works. Took some pics this morning before I cleaned the top down again. The pic with the walnut piece with the dado cutout, those scratches were done this morning when I slid the wood across the table top. The piece had previously been sitting on my work/outfeed table along with a couple of other pieces. As you can see it is not rough and I did not pick it up off the floor. If I did not take extra care to be sure nothing was placed or used on the top that could scratch it, it would be much worse.

Disregard the Macassar Ebony pics, unless you want to buy some!

This is a link to my Flickr photostream.  Table saw top pics

Earl Kelly
ok, that is bad.

How much is the ebony?
(12-16-2016, 01:39 PM)EricU Wrote: ok, that is bad.

How much is the ebony?

Whole boards in the rough 4/4 and 8/4 are $75-$90 BdFt .The 4/4 are shorts 3-4' and the 8/4 is 6-8' long. I do have several cutoffs and smaller pieces that I can let go Much cheaper. They're really good for turnings, boxes and etc.

I don't have that much maybe 50-60 bdft. If you have a project or size you can use let me know and I'll see if I have anything in that size. I sold some to a turner that used it for shaving brush handles.

Earl Kelly
(12-16-2016, 12:38 PM)Earl Kelly Wrote: OK Guys, hope this works. Took some pics this morning before I cleaned the top down again. The pic with the walnut piece with the dado cutout, those scratches were done this morning when I slid the wood across the table top. The piece had previously been sitting on my work/outfeed table along with a couple of other pieces. As you can see it is not rough and I did not pick it up off the floor. If I did not take extra care to be sure nothing was placed or used on the top that could scratch it, it would be much worse.

Disregard the Macassar Ebony pics, unless you want to buy some!

This is a link to my Flickr photostream.  Table saw top pics

Mine after 9 years has nothing like those scratches.
That is a beautiful piece of furniture. Nice work.
Any chance there was debris, stones, staples, etc. in the lumber?  Even cheap cast iron shouldn't scratch noticeably from common lumber.
Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

(12-16-2016, 06:42 PM)knotscott Wrote: Any chance there was debris, stones, staples, etc. in the lumber?  Even cheap cast iron shouldn't scratch noticeably from common lumber.

Any debris would have to come off the Jointer and/or planer! I usually go straight from them to table saw.

Earl Kelly
(12-16-2016, 04:44 PM)Bill Lyman Wrote: Mine after 9 years has nothing like those scratches.
That is a beautiful piece of furniture. Nice work.

Thanks Bill. That's a solid Mac Ebony piece.

Earl Kelly
Are you able to take a piece of wood and intentionally scratch it?  I mean, if it scratches that easily, that would prove that the iron is defective, right? Otherwise, I would think something else.