Wood identification
I have some Mahogany that looks just like that.
teak,
Honey locust?  It's dense and it smells sweet when cut (hence the name "honey").  (Pic is not my work.)

http://www.wood-database.com/honey-locust/

[Image: Cutting-Board-Ho-Locust-web3.jpg]
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-15-2016, 06:50 PM)wing nut Wrote: teak,

Mahogany.!  [Image: gah.gif]

Laugh
second pic looks hickory to me
Yes
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
My first thought was also bubinga.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(12-15-2016, 10:18 PM)Woodshop Wrote: second pic looks hickory to me
Yes

I think the pics are not so good. To my eyes the 2 pics look nothing alike. I matched the first pic to the Bubinga pic I posted. The second pic looks completely unalike, and could be Hickory, or Oak as others have suggested. But if they are the same piece of wood? That top piece isn't even similar to the second piece. Maybe we are being messed with?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I believe the wood you have is IPE, which is from S. America? and widely used in the U.S. for decking
Looks like walnut to me.
(12-16-2016, 10:03 AM)Steve N Wrote: I think the pics are not so good. To my eyes the 2 pics look nothing alike. I matched the first pic to the Bubinga pic I posted. The second pic looks completely unalike, and could be Hickory, or Oak as others have suggested. But if they are the same piece of wood? That top piece isn't even similar to the second piece. Maybe we are being messed with?

No deception.....the two pictures are from the same piece of wood cut into picture frame material.  I ripped the board length wise and the lighter colored wood was from one end of the board. 

My hardwood dealer said it's Hickory.  Thanks everyone for the help ID'ing this type of wood.