Triton router
My old router crapped out so I bought a 3.25 hp Triton router for my router table, thinking it would be nice to have the above table adjustment.  Also Fine Woodworking recommended it as their best router for a router table.
My issue is that to change a bit, I have to manually go under the table to turn the darn thing off, in order to engage the spindle lock.  I know it's a safety issue, but it's a royal pain and defeats the purpose of above table adjustment.  Am I missing something??

Otherwise, I guess I'll look for a good old fashioned router with 2 wrenches to change the bit.
I don't think you're missing anything, that's a fairly common complaint about it. I have one (the smaller model) and really like it, but it's not in a table.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I'll give ya 50 bux toward a new router if you want to sell
Big Grin

I have the big one in a router table, and really like it. It's much easier to adjust than spinning the router in it's base while trying to measure above the table to make a critical height adjustment. For the price they sell for it's a huge savings over a big PC and any kind of lift. Life is trade offs.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I had one uused it for a while and put it in a table and it was OK but I'm not a fan of it. You need to open the case and take out the plastic interlock cover that's over the switch.

Also make sure it has the steel worm gear iinstead of the plastic one. They made the switch years ago from nylon to steel and will send a steel one if yours has the plastic one. The issue is that there are  still old stock ones out there with plastic gears even years later.
Thanks for the responses. I'll try removing the plastic cover. Otherwise, I'll try out the Bosch 1617 I just picked up and return the Triton.
My Freud FT1700 also features easy top side bit changes...one of my favorite aspects of this router, but the collet automatically locks when it's raised all the way up....I'm kinda surprised the Triton doesn't have a similar feature.
Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

The Triton does "automatically" lock when lifted fully.  That's what the steel worm gear cover does.  I have this router in my table - yes it's an additional step to flip the on/off switch, but you get used to it.  Other than that, I love mine in the table.
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
I have the smaller router in a table and was pleased until recently. It started to slip when trying to raise and lower it. It has gotten to the point where I would avoid using it. I am thinking it could be the worm drive issue. I am out of state for a few months, but look forward to returning home to check it out. I appreciate the helpful information.
(12-27-2016, 12:18 PM)Mr. G Wrote:  It started to slip when trying to raise and lower it.

I'm going to suggest that you clean the slip rings out real well. Routing makes a lot of fine dust, and that is an accumulation point, more so if kept in a router table. Simply pickling it up and adjusting for different cuts keeps a hand held router pretty clean. Sure will be a cheap fix
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW