special joiner plates for a biscuit cutter
I saw a video of someone making a table top by gluing up planks.  After he applied glue and clamped, he used his biscuit joiner to cut slots so that half the slot was on on plank and the other half was on the adjoining plank.  The then hammered in some half-moon shaped biscuits that were supposed to keep the boards clamped together.  He put several along each seam.  

After they were assembled he removed the clamps and just clamped it to keep it flat. 

Does anyone know what these biscuits are?  I cannot find them on the Iternet.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
These?

http://www.lamello.com/en/home/join-wood/p-system.html
Who was the manufacturer of the biscuit joiner? That might give you a starting point.

If it was a Lamello machine, these might be the biscuit:

www.lamello.com/en/home/join-wood/lamello-system/fast.html#reiter-2

Now the question:if these were the biscuits, will they work in other manufacturers' biscuit cutters?

Also, back-In-The-Day when biscuit cutters were the latest and the greatest end all,  I recall seeing an ad for a metal biscuit that had "teeth" to lock both pieces of work in place after the work was clamped together. Have no idea how well they actually worked, if still made, or the manufacturer.
I think it is these:  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lamello-Self-...swodD7cI3g

Very expensive.
At .30 each that is more expensive than screws 

But far quicker IMO than drilling and driving screws with a pocket jig. 

site says they work with any biscuit jointer 

I could see them as useful in some situations 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(12-14-2016, 06:06 PM)JGrout Wrote: At .30 each that is more expensive than screws 

But far quicker IMO than drilling and driving screws with a pocket jig. 

site says they work with any biscuit jointer 

I could see them as useful in some situations 

Joe

In the video I saw the woodworker simply used the joining line as the guide and  quickly made the slots.  Tapping them in was quite fast too.  I do wonder what the minimum material thickness would be.

They are suggesting them for face frames too, and it looks very fast and sucks the pieces together well too.  I may try these.

http://www.lamello.com/en/home/join-wood...m/e20.html

The video below (3 minutes) clearly shows the joints being sucked together.

Very cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diRaA_y4q9A
looks to be 16mm  thick  so 5/8"   without mods. I expect you could use them in slightly thinner stock (1/2") but you would have to trim off the excess with a router or sanding. They are Fiberglass reinforced plastic so they can be  machined

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

that's interesting, it's basically a spline.  It's not obvious to me why it would pull the joint together like it does.  The slots seem to be straight, that doesn't seem like it would pull  the joint together
(12-15-2016, 10:50 AM)EricU Wrote: that's interesting, it's basically a spline.  It's not obvious to me why it would pull the joint together like it does.  The slots seem to be straight, that doesn't seem like it would pull  the joint together

[Image: 41G9CiMl0dL._SY450_.jpg]

This is their smaller piece.  You can see that the saw teeth are not parallel.

And her is the larger one:

[Image: 31kcRy8gtSL._SX355_.jpg]
ok, that makes sense.  Too bad they are so expensive.