Question: Euro Jointer/Planer Guards
I noticed the euro style guards on the Hammer/Felder/Minimax J/Ps seem to project
out in front of the machine quite a bit: not clear why that is and wondering if this would
be an annoyance in a cramped shop?

[Image: 011190060-main.jpg]
It slides back and forth to cover whatever portion of blade is exposed in front of the fence. I have one on my CU300 and it's quite nice. That black knob on top is what you loosen to adjust it in and out relative to the knife exposure.

It is considerably safer than the porkchop style, but not nearly as convenient to setup / use. It is worth the safety measure though!

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
the ones on higher end machines not only slide but there is a hinge and snap latch about every 4" so they can drop down next to the machine as the guard is moved outward

That protrusion gets pretty annoying when you are using the knives toward the outboard side 

Otherwise I prefer it over a porkchop style if only for the safety
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I have one on my j/p. Before I ordered it I was more than a little put off by it. Having come up using the standard American pork chop type guard i thought it would be in the way and just generally very annoying. I have to admit that I almost immediately began to like it better. After using it for a year now I definitely like it much better than the pork chop. But to answer your question, no I don't find it gets in the way. It only moves away from the fence, and therefore protrudes out from the machine, when you're edge jointing. I do most of my edge jointing at the back of the beds so in practice mine never sticks out much farther than 2". I also lower it tight to the beds when I'm edge jointing, I find that helps with dust collection as well.
-Marc

I had a Euro style guard on my Inca that I used for 25+ years.  I knew no other style until I sold that machine and bought a used MiniMax J/P that came, surprisingly, with a pork chop style guard.  I have to say, I much prefer the pork chop style guard.  You never have to move it as it automatically adjusts to wherever you set the fence and the work piece as you push it through.  I see no appreciable difference as far as safety goes either; both have their strong and weak points. 

I can and have adapted to both styles.  I wouldn't be swayed to buy a machine because of which style guard is on it.  

John
Thanks for the input folks: I'll let you know what I end up with when I end up with it.
Personally not a fan of the euro guard. It tends to dig into the body quite painfully during use and just walking by the machine... It's also a pain to use when face jointing lots more hand work and easy to get fingers slid under the guard.

I much prefer the maple leaf us style. It's a leaf not a pork chop. Flip it over and you can see the details of the leaf.
(12-15-2016, 05:24 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: I much prefer the maple leaf us style. It's a leaf not a pork chop. Flip it over and you can see the details of the leaf.

Good luck stemming the tide on that one, you see leaf used maybe 1 out of several hundred references to that guard shape.  I know Delta used it "officially" for a period of time but most often it is referred to as a pork chop guard.
I learned on a pork chop style but now own a J/P with the Euro bridge guard. I haven't run my hip into the guard yet but I do think about it so I'm careful when walking past not because it would hurt me but because I don't want to wreck the fence.

I miss using a push pad with a hook on the end of it.
I have the machine pictured in the OP in my small shop. I suppose the protruding guard could be annoying, but it is something you get used to. I rarely think about it. It gets the job done. In some respects I like it better than the porkchop style guard, in others not. I certainly wouldn't reject the machine because of the guard. It is an excellent machine.