I need some good advise please on a DC
(12-16-2016, 06:40 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Of the ones you've listed Arlin, the last one would be my choice. 1 micron filters, and plenty of air flow. Should serve you well.

I agree completely, but it was more than ~$500, so I stopped short. 

Build yourself a Thien baffle to remove the chips and other course bits before they get to the bags, and you'll have a great system.  Add to it smooth-wall flex if you're wheeling it around from machine to machine, to minimize flow resistance, and use the largest hose you can.  If you're stuck with 4", try to add a second hose to the same machine if possible.  Like a 2-1/2" to the blade guard of the TS, and another hose to the cabinet.  That unit has plenty of fan curve to run two hoses simultaneously with strong air flow.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Thanks and I will save some more for that one.

A 10 foot hose will reach everywhere in my shop.

I do have one more question tho and that is with the Drum sander and bandsaw.  Should I use two hoses for those and use a blast gate for one hose since I will always have one hose all the time.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-16-2016, 01:10 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I do have one more question tho and that is with the Drum sander and bandsaw.  Should I use two hoses for those and use a blast gate for one hose since I will always have one hose all the time.

That's sort of what I do.  I have two hoses to my bandsaw; one under the table, and another under the lower wheel, which on the old Craftsman 12" saws, is open.  So I suck the dust out through that opening.  Both 4", teed into a 5" wye, which was the original split on my 2 hp HFDC.
Laugh

Another thing you can do is just remove the unused hose, and put a cap over the inlet.  With that much DC, you don't need to seal that hose/cap connection.  Put some closed-cel foam weatherstrip around the inside corner of the cap for a really tight seal when the DC is pulling it onto the inlet, but without it being a tight connection otherwise.

I don't clamp the hose to my cabinet saw, as I pull it off and put it on my planer, shaper fence, and jointer, as needed.  
Cool
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Jim

I am not following what you are saying.  Do you have a picture of what you did?
Thanks
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Arlan, I have the 240v single filter/plastic bag Griz unit like the 3hp unit you posted.

My shop has a long run along a wall(tools in line on that wall) and a 30 gallon chip separator can in line before the DC. I use 4" white PVC pipe, with plastic blast gates at each tool and short flex tubes to allow pulling the machine away from the wall to use.

That arrangement works fine for the planer/router table/jointer, but not so well for the contractor saw(with only a catch plate under the saw and no shielding).

I have a Rigid OSS connected to the DC on a separate(one of the three DC connection ports) port with flex pipe right next to the DC.

With minimal woodworking, I clean the filter(take it outside and blow it out with compressed air and empty the bag about twice a year. Empty the chip can about 3 times a year(from the router/planer).

That double unit Griz should do you well.
(12-15-2016, 12:18 AM)Steve N Wrote: Hi Arlin

I am backward on DC compared to many here. I would rather have 2 or even 3 DC's around the shop with only a 10' tubing between the machines, and the DC, and move them around as I need DC at any one machine. Cost is one reason, simplicity is the other. Tubing/ducting, whatever you use can be as expensive as the DC itself. Simple because all you need is a solid attachment at the tool, and use Male/Female connectors, or twist connectors to attach the two. For that reason I'd nominate something a lot simpler like this one from HF That model is in a lot of shops here, and does a pretty good job.

I like this connector, it threads into the tubing, and the smooth part fits most tools DC attachment. For some tools like a TS where the attachment is often only reached when you are crawling in to it, you can attach a small length of tubing to the machine, and using these be able to connect to you longer tubing on the DC machine.

HF has the DC units on sale often, and this is the time of year to catch sales on tubing, and attachments.

Im with this track of thought on a small shop. Bigger doesn't mean better. IMHO, unless you have long runs, the higher HP units are overkill. I know I have been to guys shops that are 300-500 sqft and they have 3-5hp units and I ask WHY? They have big elaborate piping set up.....I dont get it when the tools are all 10' from the collector. 

Personally you would be just fine with this 

http://www.grizzly.com/products/2HP-Cani...es/G0548ZP

I have a 1-1/2 Jet that I made into a cyclone with the $200 cone on ebay. I run 90-100 gallons of chips through it every week and it does the job. 

If you want something easier to empty (assuming why you want the double bag system....takes longer to fill up) id save a few more bucks and get this

http://www.grizzly.com/products/1-1-2-HP...ctor/G0703

In any event, with the size of your shop, get one of the 21' rockler retactable hoses and just hook it to each machine. Thats what I do. Works well.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Thanks

Also I have only 224sf and even a 8' hose can reach everything.  I have been wanting to get the Rockler system for a while.  I would love to have the set up where I can put the rockler handle on each tool.

I did look up the sander and it takes 850 or 950 cfm to work it right so the 1.5hp will not work but it sure looks good.

what sander? I use a 16/32 and its no issue at all.

If a 1-1/2 hp unit doesnt work.....the sander is likely overkill for your needs.

I was told the 1-1/2 unit wouldnt keep up with my 15" grizz planer. No issue all.

IMHO DC is one of those things most just think bigger is better, when in reality...having a unit with minimal ducting and sealed properly will out work a larger unit.

I have a friend that owns an HVAC business...and he tells me he goes into houses all the time with larger AC units than are needed and people cant figure out WHY their house isnt cold.

Size matters.

Also...if your using 4" duct or pipe.....those ratings mean less. You can only get so much air through a 4" pipe....you can get tons more through 6". Ive never paid attention to the minimum CFM needed for tools. Like I said, if there is concern, the tool is larger than you need.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

In post 27 I had the link and will put it here

http://www.grizzly.com/products/24-Drum-...rizzly.com

Over kill or not it is what the VA bought for me

Sorry I missed it. 

From the manual....

"Your dust collector must be able to move 450 cfm at the Drum Sander."

The 2Hp Canister model has 1700 CFM....with a 10' flex hose you will have 450cfm if you crank the canister cleaner daily. 

Just for comparison your planer calls for between 400 and 625 CFM. 

Like I said I have a 1-1/2 HP unit and clear 90 gallons of chips a week....from 15" planer with zero issue. 

Like I said, unless you have a large shop, running multiple tools at once on multiple ducts, bigger isnt better.