Sharpen a hand saw with a hack saw
Yea, I know it sounds weird, yet Paul Sellers says it true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTQYEq8SbZw

The only downfall I see with this process is that a small square area is left at the bottom of the gullet and would allow saw dust to collect within it.  Paul did not show the cutting results of the sharpened saw, so the jury is still out on this process, in my opinion.
The file will ride on the 'corners' at the bottom, so the gullet will approach a triangular profile after a pass.

You're dealing with VERY small areas, here.

Note that this is about using inexpensive hacksaw blades to extend the life of expensive files. If you have cheap files, or rarely sharpen saws it may be a surplus step.
the hack saw blades don't stand sawing hardened thin metal very long. So instead of buying saw files you buy new saw blades. Maybe that is cheaper over all, but is it enough to take double work? I've doubts.

Cheers
Pedder
I can See That Seems like It A Good idea
south vietnam war collage
A very peculiar method, indeed.  Not sure I'd want to do that to my really nice vintage saws.  And surely not on my more expensive modern saws.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-15-2016, 07:37 AM)Pedder Wrote: the hack saw blades don't stand sawing hardened thin metal very long. So instead of buying saw files you buy new saw blades. Maybe that is cheaper over all, but is it enough to take double work? I've doubts.

Cheers
Pedder
+1  I have doubts too.

Paul is a real character, and we all know why we like him, but this idea is one of his brain farts.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
If the saw kerf is not completely removed during filing, it will serve as a stress concentration, possibly causing a tooth to rip or fracture.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
(12-15-2016, 11:45 AM)enjuneer Wrote: If the saw kerf is not completely removed during filing, it will serve as a stress concentration, possibly causing a tooth to rip or fracture.

This is exactly my opinion as well! The rounded edge of a saw file isn't a thing of coincidence. It strengthens the bottom of the gullet to make sure that each and every tooth is as strong as possible where it's prone to break.

Klaus
(12-15-2016, 11:40 AM)Admiral Wrote: +1  I have doubts too.

Paul is a real character, and we all know why we like him, but this idea is one of his brain farts.

I don't know about that. His rationale is that small hack saw blades are cheaper than saw files, which is true, and since only a tiny cut will have the desired effect, it would appear that the benefits of this operation outweigh the costs, i.e., a weakened saw plate (unlikely) or the tiny amount of time it takes to make the cuts in the gullets. YMMV, of course, but I'm going to try it on one of my saws and see what happens.
(12-15-2016, 07:37 AM)Pedder Wrote: the hack saw blades don't stand sawing hardened thin metal very long. So instead of buying saw files you buy new saw blades. Maybe that is cheaper over all, but is it enough to take double work? I've doubts.

Cheers
Pedder
These carbide edge hacksaw blades "could' be a good alternative to an ordinary blade...and it is possible a bi-metal {HSS edge} blade may last longer also. I don't think either would initiate a "stress riser" in the gullet..And the carbide might even leave more of a "rounded" gullet. The problem may be that the carbide is too 'thick" and would not work on fine-toothed blades.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-12-in-car...940862000P
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset