Nice old 12" jointer!
http://madison.craigslist.org/tls/5919694070.html

Not mine.

Pedro
I miss nested quotes..........
That is a nice looking machine.  Wonder if the power feed is included.
That's a beauty - solid price too @ less than $100/ inch. Probably about 12-1400 lbs also, so not in the realm of the HOLY capr how am I going to move this (e.g.; 3 toe Oliver circa same era.)

That bed arrangement is nice also and easier to adjust / fix if not coplanar (vs. wedge approach) just need to ensure that it's not missing pieces, and the beds aren't totally wonky. From the pics though, if all checks out, that's a gloat-worthy acquisition!

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
At one time I bought a 16" jointer (a Famous brand) because 1) it looked so impressive and 2) I already had a 34" bandsaw of the same brand. As I recall I paid about $400 for it, plus $150 to have it delivered. Initially hooked up a 1 hp motor to it, found that the motor couldn't bring the cutter head up to full speed, so I installed different pulleys so that I could actually use my new toy, and used it for a few months with the cutter head running at a reduced speed. Had to feed work slowly, but it did a nice job. I finally came to get a 5 hp motor, and mounted the designed size pullieys. Being a little nervous, I clamped a plank to the tables to cover the cutter head and flipped the switch. As it was coming up to speed, I noticed it was starting to vibrate and turned off the power, just about the same time there was a loud "bang" and the infeed table slid back and down some distance. Checked to make sure I'd suffered to injuries, still had ten fingers and all parts seemed to still work, unplugged the power cable and walked away from the jointer. The next morning went back to survey the damages. Turned out that the head had thrown the knives, shattering the knives (still have a broken knife hanging on my wall just as a reminder of what can happen), removed about a quarter of an inch from the front edge of the infeed table, bent the "lips" on the cutter head, and broken the mounting brackets for the infeed table. Had the cutter head repaired and re balanced, had a new set of custom knives made, infeed table brackets welded, total cost over one thousand dollars. The repairs did work, and the jointer ran smoothly and did a good job, but I was never comfortable using it after the experience, and sold it for less than I initially paid for the jointer. Its replacement was a Makita 6" jointer/12" planer, and later upgrading to a Delta planer and 8" Power Matic jointer with spiral head.
One of the nice things about this on is it has an 'updated round cutter head' so hopefully an experience like yours won't happen on this one.

Pedro
I miss nested quotes..........
Is the blade guard mounted backwards in the Craigslist photo? I never saw a jointer blade guard that didn't cover the blades. I checked out L. power jointer photos on OWWM.com and didn't see a guard like the one pictured. Most had homemade guards or none at all.
That motor is massive!

The spring must have been loosened.  The guard should rotate clockwise and touch the fence. Once locked into place the spring would come into play and cover the knives.

The guard doesn't look to be original. I would not expect to see the rivets coming out of the top. Did this machine ever have a guard? From OWWM, I don't think it ever did. The catalog from 1929 shows what looks like this jointer without a guard and came with only 2 knives with a round head.
WoodTinker
Hank, that one got me, too.  I actually posted a response that said it looked like it was made for a left handed person, then deleted it when I finally realized that the poster just has the guard swung forward to show the cutterhead.  At least that's how it looks to me.

John
About 6 months ago I rebuilt an old Northfield 12" jointer from the 1930's, very similar in design to the one shown. I paid $300 and got an equally old 3 hp brush motor thrown in on the deal. My cutter head was round, but with only 2 knives. Both the motor and jointer used Babbitt bearings. The reason for the long intro is that getting everything up and running took another $700: machine shop work on the cutter head, rebuild on the motor, pulleys and belts, and last, but certainly not least, stripping down all the parts to remove rust. We use the machine daily and it was worth it, but, unless this machine has been rebuilt completely it is way overpriced.
One more note: I have the same guard on my rebuilt 12"; this guy has the guard upside down and backwards. Caveat emptor!