REPRICED Custom chisel handles, Padauk & Cocobolo, ALSO Custom Plane Totes and Knobs.
NEW PRICING AS OF 12/17, SEE BELOW.

As a few of you know, as part of my vintage tool restorations, I make custom totes and knobs, as well as custom chisel handles.

I recently made a lot of custom chisel handles in Padauk with Cocobolo striking 'pads'. Many went towards a commission job (see thread up in Hand Tools forum), but I made plenty of extras while I was at it.

These were made for a socket type chisel, but they can be easily modified for tang style chisels by just cutting off the socket insert. Also, the socket insert will need to be adjusted to fit your set. They were made oversized, so this is an easy alteration. I can do this for you if you want to send me your set for fitting, for a fee. These are NOT made with a copy lathe attachment, so there are minor differences amongst them, which the original client requested so that they didn't seem like production work.

I am selling these as a set of 5 handles, but I have plenty, and we can work out a deal for more. $75 for the set of 5, plus shipping.
NEW PRICE - $60  (AS OF 12/17)

[Image: c1fb689f-f8d6-431c-87f1-54cba239abc8_zps5omlgurn.jpg]

Now, for the plane tote and knob sets.

These are made using the LV instructions, and will fit any Stanley Bailey or Bedrock (and similar) planes. The regular rosewood totes are nice, but some folks appreciate a little customization on their tools, too. I make these out of Maple, Ash, White Oak, Walnut, Cherry, Honduran Rosewood, African Mahogany, Padauk, Bubinga, and just about anything else that is requested.

I also make them in multiple configurations. Most are standard sized for either the #3 and #4 sized smoothers, or for the #5-#8 planes. I also make some in what I call the "FATBOY" size. These are approximately 1/8" thicker than the standard tote and are fantastically comfortable for those with large hands or who just enjoy a bit more to hang onto. I've also been told that they are more pleasurable to push against for longer periods of time. Sometimes, the tote or knob screw needs altering for a good fit, I can also help with that, although it is an easy process. Usually it isn't needed. I have LOTS of spare rods and other parts for planes available.

These are shaped and sanded, ready for you to complete with your choice of finish. Some folks prefer lacquer, others enjoy using Tru-Oil, and still others prefer shellac.

I also have these in various woods, for planes #3-4 and for #5-8 sizes. Some are available also in the FATBOY thickness. I am limited in stock right now, but if you have a request you don't see, let me know and I'll see if I have it. I will respond to every request eventually, but priority right now is for these exact sets as pictured.

Priority in order of PM, and to those who want exactly what is shown. Prices do not include shipping. I accept Paypal and postal money orders.

SET #1)  OAK, size #5-#8 planes, Tall knob, Standard thickness. $30
NEW PRICE $25 (AS OF 12/17)

[Image: c7a0ef6c-2a28-478e-91cf-5a54956b05b0_zpspyvklouu.jpg]

[Image: 20161215_104140_zpsezg84idp.jpg]

SET #2)  Honduran Rosewood, #5-#8 planes, Tall knob, FATBOY thickness.  $45
NEW PRICE, $40 (AS OF 12/17)

[Image: a28fb6ba-2ef0-47ac-be57-d0ac90dac016_zpsefu3cmb6.jpg]

[Image: 20161215_104404_zpstrun7hg1.jpg]

SET #3)  ASH , #5-#8 planes, Tall knob, standard thickness.  $30
NEW PRICE, $25 (AS OF 12/17)

[Image: 20161215_104429_zps2hddclwg.jpg]

[Image: 20161215_104439_zps1eowq6by.jpg]

SET #4)  CHERRY, #3-#4 size planes, tall knob, standard thickness. $40
NEW PRICE $35 (AS OF 12/17)

[Image: 20161215_104558_zps3wtrgwfr.jpg]

[Image: 20161215_104718_zpsv0xmgi17.jpg]

-----------------------------

SET #5)  CHERRY, #5-#8 sized planes, tall knob, standard thickness. $40
NEW PRICE $35 (AS OF 12/17)

[Image: 20161215_104802_zpshjfzwkpd.jpg]

[Image: 20161215_104822_zpsmsnjxqnv.jpg]

If you have any questions, let me know.  I will ship to Canada.

Thanks for looking!
Yes
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Couple things to add:

IF YOU won a tote/knob set from me in the Christmas Auction upstairs, and want more of these, PM me. Special deal since you paid more in the auction in support of those who need assistance during the holiday season.

ALSO, some of the pictures appear a little washed out and don't show the grain very well. In person these look much better, and I shouldn't have used that dark background, it screwed up the light level. I should have known better. I can get a better picture if you want...

Crazy
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Greg:

Received the Bubinga ones, they are fine looking on my # 7, plan on asking you to make me a few more. The old #7 looks out of place now, too good looking....

Have you done any of the low style front knobs?

Again, great craftsmanship,
Andy

-- mos maiorum
Hi Andy. Glad you like yours.

I do make some with short knobs, but not in all woods. What are looking for?

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Hmmmmm...

Not many bites, only 2 items sold so far, but I have plenty more, so either the prices are too steep, or everyone has already expended their Christmas budget.

So, I'll drop the prices a bit, eh? Dangle the bait a bit.

Let's knock $15 off the chisel handles price, so now $60 for a set of 5.
And we'll drop each tote and knob set also, take $5 off each set.

If you buy more than one set or a combo, we'll talk bulk pricing also.

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
This exact cherry tote and knob (set #4 for the #3-#4 size planes) are sold (pending payment), but I do have more. If you want one, let me know and I can take a picture of one of them for you.

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Greg:

Was thinking about Bubinga for my # 6 & 5 1/2 both with low front knobs......

-- mos maiorum
I have a couple more Bubinga totes, but no low knobs, just tall ones, sorry.

I can't make anymore for probably a month. All my jigs and setup is put away for winter to make room for the other vehicles.

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Set #4, ASH has been spoken for, pending payment.

I do have more sets of ash available. Let me know if you want to see a pic of any.

Thanks again.

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Throw some of that junk out of the basement and I'll come help ya drag that lathe down the steps.
Raised 
You got too much maneuvering room in there as it is. You only need one path.
Winkgrin
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020