Customer Service for General Tools
So, I got this jointer (General 80-075) I posted about recently. It needs new knives which I haven't ordered yet but it also has one other problem. The cutter guard won't hold tension against the work surface (I knew this when I bought it) and figured I could just order a couple parts from General buuut I emailed and got no answer. I called and got nothing too. 

Any idea how or what I can do?

Here are some pics...

Attached Files Image(s)

"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Hi Scott:

I just received two arbor nuts for my General 650R table saw so somebody is manning the store.  I exchanged e-mails with Serge Adam (serge.adam@general.ca) and received good service - my parts arrived about a week after I ordered them (Montreal to Calgary).  The phone number I have is 514-326-1161.  I don't think they have a big staff looking after the store (based on comments from other customers) so you might have to be a bit patient in getting a real person to talk to.

Cheers,

Barry W. Larson
Calgary, Alberta, Canada eh!
Thanks.  I emailed that address. Hopefully somebody gets bback with me.
so the spring is missing?
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

There is/was a spring under the cap. Take it apart and make sure it is there- perhaps clean and oil it.

I had a HF 6" jointer which is about the same as yours and I had extra knives if they will fit, you can have them.

part# 80100-04 - SPRING.
part# 80100-53 - KNIFE.

http://www.general.ca/pdf/machines/80_jo...0L_ENG.pdf
I think you have to wind up the tension on the spring using the silver knob (2-3 turns) and then drop the shaft of the guard down the hole. That is how my JET works.
Daddo, thank you. Very nice to offer.

JGrout, etc...
I feel a little silly. The seller, who is the original owner, told me the spring was broken. I assumed since he has a great shop and upgraded to an 8 inch Shop Fox and had been ww'ing 30 years that he was right. Welp, I just got home from work and it's freezing cold (at least for here) but I had to see. I shined a light down in the hole and I saw a spring. Hmmm. I thought that seemed ok since he said it was broken....not missing.  I had tensioned one before on my Shopsmith one so i figured I'd give it a wirl...I tried it and to my supprise I have tension. It does appear to be missing a rivet but I can't see why it would matter. 

Cam2705, I couldn't turn the knob. I had to move the fence way back and spin the guard.
Glad to see it wasn't really broken and the fix was easy.  The guy may have been wood working for 30 years but that doesn't mean he has any mechanical competence.  Lots of machines get sold (for cheap) because "It just don't work right no more." when all it needs is a little TLC.  I've got a few of them in my shop, and they seem to work OK for me.   Enjoy your "new" jointer.  

John
no kidding.  Back when scanners cost $1000, I bought one for $5 from the university, "not working."  Turns out the shipping latches were still installed.  It even had a bill from the local repair shop in there.
I got an email from General. Ironically they are out of the spring.and.according to Serge.at General, they.have no clue when they will get it. 

Caught a break I guess.