A Flag Case for my Dad
My Dad died earlier this year.  Like many of America's Greatest Generation, he served during WW II.  My Dad was a paratrooper and is probably one of the few people in the world who took off in an airplane many times but never landed in one. 

From what I heard from some of his friends my Dad was pretty wild as a young man.  The guy I knew, however, was quiet and hard working and dedicated to his family.  He hated crowds and large groups because "It's too much talking.".  He was a die hard Yankees fan, and loved to hunt and fish.  He taught me and my brother those skills.  Some of my fondest memories of my Dad are from the times we spent hunting or fishing together.  Deer hunting, in particular, taught me a lot about preparation, focus, attention to details, perseverance, and a fair amount of suffering if you want to be successful.   

At calling hours at the funeral home there was a steady stream of people who came to pay their respects.  It was the first time I met some of those people and only then did I realize how many people my Dad knew, the lives he had touched in one way or another, and how many people loved him.  It was a moving experience. 

My Dad was buried with military honors.  When the serviceman played taps it sounded like the finest version I'd ever heard.  Only later did I find out that it's actually a played recording.  Who knew? 

OK, to the point now.  My Mom was given the flag that draped my Dad's coffin, and one of my cousins picked up a few of the shell casings from the 21 gun salute.  With Christmas coming I decided I needed to build the flag case I promised my mother.  During the Summer I had thought about what wood to use, and finally realized this was the perfect project to use a cherry board that had been sitting in my parents' attic for at least 50 years.  My Dad had offered it to me many times, but I could just never think of a project worth using it for.  I was about 18 or 20" wide, bark to bark, and maybe 7' long.  One end had a lot of checks in, but there was about 5' or so of good, clear wood, just a little more than I needed to build the case I eventually designed and just finished building. 

[Image: 4kS5_OvfG09wg2WisjiTTJopf4l7xfcf8dbVmvPq...38-h628-no]

[Image: CZ5kr5h_KxkFD5LoMH-TQZd8HT8Y6Z_mcZL9lHjj...71-h628-no]

It's built so that it can be hung on a wall or placed on a cabinet either horizontally or vertically, as the photos show.  My Mom can decide what to display in the right/bottom of the case, but I'm sure his dog tags, airborne patches, a picture of him in his jump suit, and a couple of those shell casings will be among the items. 

My Dad was 89, and I miss him.

John
Nice thoughtful story, and a very nice flag case. Well done!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The case is a tribute and provides the honor your father earned.
Thanks for sharing this story.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Hey John
Really nice story to go with a really nice case.
Lost my dad last fall. His flag is still sitting on my dresser waiting for me to find the time to do it justice. I think this will motivate me get started after the holidays.
Worked everyday with my dad for 30 + years, drank coffee in the mornings and ate lunch together everyday.
I still miss him everyday 
But when you have a life well lived there are so many good memories to fall back on you get by.
Thanks for the reminder at this time of the year
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks
John;

Very nice case and even a nicer story. For years I have been researching my uncle (who I never got to meet), he was a Captain in the Infantry ans was eventually killed in Anzio. About 10 years ago I had the honor to speak to 2 gentlemen on the phone. They both said he lead by example and was soft spoken. One of the 2 men was award his CMH in 2000. His citation covered when my uncle was killed. I'm hoping to finally build a case for his flag, but also want to put a small story about eith in the case or next to it.

You might want to consider writing up something that tells you Dad's story. I'm very proud of that generation and I'm sure you are too.

Good luck

Jim
Jim
nice flag case my dad was in WWII also, and he had the military honors at his burial. I was disappointed that the taps was a recording and not a real person playing the bugle he really deserved it.
I felt that the 5 minutes of military honors at my dad's graveside did a much better job of capturing the right tone than two hours of religious stuff before and after. They really understand dignity and know how to convey it, which is exactly what this flag case does too.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Good tribute to a Good Man*

*In the spirit of things, I'll let the "Yankee Fan" part slide.
Smile

Thanks to your father for serving, and to your family for the sacrifices they made allowing him to do so.

As long as our country keeps producing men like that, we'll be OK.
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne
That's a really nice case.  I don't think I could put together any memorabilia for my dad, so I keep thinking that I'll just build a triangular case for the flag they flew for him at Arlington.
My Dad passed 10 years ago and he was 82. he too was a WWII vet and had the military honors. I have to say it was the hardest part of the ceremony when they presented the flag to my Mom. He taught me so much and I miss him and think of him everyday. my Mom passed this Jan and now both parents are together with the Lord and I really miss them both.

You did a great job on the flag cabinet and it will be passed down for many years to come. Keep those fond memories with you forever.
John T.