Mike Holmes' "Buy it right" show.
(12-19-2016, 09:04 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I also enjoy the show.  I like that he is going for good "bones", and mentions that things could be done at a later date.  Seems to get stuck on some of the same things such as gutters.

He gets stuck on the same two things that I get stuck on:  Water intrusion and electrical hazards.  

Both of which can cause monumental problems.

A coworker bought a beautiful home near a local stream.  The plan was to make it a "mother/daughter" home, with mom living in the basement apartment.  

After a storm and a high tide the basement filled to about 2 foot depth  with water.  It was entering through walls and floor.  The water level outdoors was higher than the floor of the basement.  When he asked the neighbors about this they said that it was not a big deal.  It only happened once every 4 or 5 years.

Holmes would have probably noticed some tell-tales to warn against this home.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Here you have to disclose water problems so you don't need Holmes for that
(12-20-2016, 01:04 PM)fixtureman Wrote: Here you have to disclose water problems so you don't need Holmes for that

You have to volunteer that information up front?  Or answer a question honestly?

A friend of mine recently sold his house.  Before selling he had the house inspected by a local inspection company.  He made some of the recommended fixes that the inspector found wanting.  He also left the book (3 ring binder inspection report) on the dining room table with a note that the potential buyer should read it before making a bid.  

He received a bid and at closing the buyer wanted him to pay for a new roof.  But the roof was itemized in the inspection so he said, "No deal.  You knew it needed a roof when you placed  your bid."

I think that the inspection was a good idea.  Of course the buyer will have to have his own inspection but it lets the seller off the hook for all the issues mentioned in the report.
(12-19-2016, 09:55 AM)Admiral Wrote: LOL, never heard of the term wife beater, had to look it up.  In NJ/NY this would be a guinea tee, a semi-Italian slur that goes back, way back.

(12-19-2016, 10:29 AM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: I am glad you translated that. I had no idea what that was either. I thought it was a pair of boots or something. I too am from NJ so I got the T shirt thing. 

That is what my dryer vent is made of too. Every once in awhile take it off and clean it out if need be. One thing to remember this time of the year, if you live in a snow area for the winter, make sure you clear away the vent outside so that there is no backup and the dryer vents properly.

Where from NJ are you two that never heard that term?

e deploribus unum

(12-27-2016, 12:39 AM)FBranco Wrote: Where from NJ are you two that never heard that term?

I'm from Long Island and I never heard that term until about 1990.  The term seems to have gained a lot of traction and I think it is preferable to identifying the shirt with a specific nationality.
(12-20-2016, 03:33 PM)Cooler Wrote: You have to volunteer that information up front?  Or answer a question honestly?

A friend of mine recently sold his house.  Before selling he had the house inspected by a local inspection company.  He made some of the recommended fixes that the inspector found wanting.  He also left the book (3 ring binder inspection report) on the dining room table with a note that the potential buyer should read it before making a bid.  

He received a bid and at closing the buyer wanted him to pay for a new roof.  But the roof was itemized in the inspection so he said, "No deal.  You knew it needed a roof when you placed  your bid."

I think that the inspection was a good idea.  Of course the buyer will have to have his own inspection but it lets the seller off the hook for all the issues mentioned in the report.

I've been doing a few "sellers" inspections. I charge less for them. They have fewer pictures and a lower level of detailed verbiage and no section on future budgetary considerations. My liability is also lower for a sellers inspection than for a buyers inspection. I do them for cheap so I can meet the agent and meet the customer before they buy their new home and hopefully get locked into that next full priced inspection.

They are handy for the seller and the seller's agent. I'll verbally point out what the appraiser will want fixed and what the buyer's inspector will show his client. That way they're prepared before it goes on the market.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay