1 1/4" banjo -- where to get a tool rest?
I guess I could turn an adapter and braze it onto a smaller tool rest, but if there is a place to get the right size it would be nice.  Are there any lathes that use 1 1/8"?  I have tubing with 1/8" wall that would adapt to that really easily.

I would like to use my lathe for more than draping stuff on, but the tool rest seems mandatory.

I suppose I could make the bar type with a threaded banjo fitting, but the last thing I need is more projects making tools.

I see that there are lots of diy tool rest posts out there. The thought of it gives me the vapors though.
That is an unusual size. The Vicmark lathes use 30 mm. Not sure how close that is, but there are some made that size. Brent English at Robust may be able to help you. I did a demo on a Vicmark once, and the shop had an insert that was 1 inch in the middle, and 30 mm on the outside, and had a hole in it for the set screw on the banjo. It was more sturdy than I thought it would be. Only other solution I can think of is have sleeves made and weld them to your current tool rests. 

robo hippy
Powermatic 90 lathes use a 1 1/8" tool rest. Only issues I could see is what swing lathe do you have now. The 90 is a 12" lathe.
Suitable sleeve and a couple grubscrews would do, I should think.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
It's a Yates American, 12 inch swing.  Are tool rests on the centerline of the spindle, or a little lower?

If I'm making an adapter anyway, I can most likely change the height too.

I have a metal lathe, so if I'm forced to do it, I can bore out a 1 1/4" rod to fit.

Looks like 1 1/8", 1", 7/8" and 3/4" would be relatively easy to do, tubing is available in those inside diameters.

on edit: starting to think that I could just as well get a modular tool rest and make a post. If I could figure out what the threads are on one of the tool rests.
You could order 1-1/4 OD x .125 wall tubing and epoxy or pin it to your current tool rests.  I would think that's cheaper than purchasing a new tool rest or having a machine shop drill out 1-1/4 in solid bar.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I have seen home made adapters, people do it when they upgrade lathes.  I guess I'll just pick up a tool rest and make the adapter.  I'm finally trying to get started with it after all this time.  The tool rest and an outlet are the two things that are holding me back at this point.

I never had a tool rest.  I asked the friend who sold it to me if I just misplaced the tool rest, and he said he had one made out of wood.  I don't know if he threw it away out of embarrassment or if I discarded it because I didn't know what it was.   I bought almost his whole shop, the lathe was really an afterthought for me.  He sold everything to me for far less than just the cyclone cost, which is really what I wanted.  This would have been gloat-worthy back when it happened a decade ago. I sold everything in my shop to someone else, so the upgrade didn't cost very much at all.

I think the lathe belonged to a school. It came with a big cage/guard that covered the whole working area.  Kinda made it hard to store things on the lathe, so I took it off. So probably the tool rest got separated when it was sold.
looks like 1" is common enough that I'm going to make an adapter for that.  Any words of wisdom about what is the right length to start off with?  My first project is going to be chisel handles
Have it adjustable from 2" higher to 1" lower than centerline.  You'll use maybe half of that, but it should provide versatility for whatever.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I found these bushings on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tool-Rest-Post-A...RTM2247626

wow, that's a long link

Anyway, I also saw that companies sell a way to keep the tool rest free to rotate at the banjo.  I was going to make the adapters so that they had a shoulder, so that will be built in.  Right now my jointer is in the way of my metal lathe due to construction, I'll post pics when I get things sorted.