Bats in the chimney--and house
Photo 
I agree with hiring someone. If you've had multiples, odds are awfully good there's a colony in your eaves. A qualified removal expert will seal up all but one hole or two, and in the remaining ones, insert the aforementioned one-way doors, then come back to take those out and seal up the last holes after the bats are gone. The catch is, you have to wait until they aren't hibernating, and in Ohio (where I live), it's illegal to perform bat exclusions while their are baby bats. So you're looking at early April through late August for the exclusion.

I had a massive bat problem (somewhere around 18 in the house at night), but all now seems well. This guy is smart; perched on my dresser like a gargoyle in an attempt to hide...https://www.instagram.com/p/BC-tvj-SQkn/?taken-by=1snugthejoiner
Hire a pro?
If you have money coming out the wazoo. Hire a pro. If your afraid of a ladder. Hire a pro. If you don't have a clue. hire a pro.
 I would just google the solution and take care of it. It's not magic.

Many moons ago I worked part time for a 1 man exterminating co.
For an attic with squirrels, we would put a substance he had, that was a translucent, jell, around the opening we found.
It was an irritant, and the only reason the squirrels would go thru the hole, was if they were hungry. They would leave in hunt for food, but not return. A few days later he would come by and close the hole.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer