WTB: Disston 1 son medallion
probably a long shot but here goes.  I have a really nice Disston #9 with a great one son etch but it has a "sons" medallion.  If anyone has a one inch One Son medallion please let me know if you'd part with it and the price
thanks
pat
Actually, not having the son medallion sort of helps date the saw. I have a "son" etch and a "sons" medallion on a really nice 26" rip. I might sell it, I need some wood.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Tell me more, Admiral, were some made with the sons medallion and one son etch? If so where can find documentation to that effect. It looks original, like a screwdriver never touched it so that makes sense.
pat
The son/sons date the saw to 1871; likely they switched the medallion but still had sawplates etched "son" to use up.  The following is what the Distonnian Institute says:

"The company changed its name to Disston and Sons in 1871.

This medallion often appears on saws with the "one son" etch, making it the first medallion to feature the word "sons." It still features the old-style split sawnuts that were used until about 1876. The perimeter is also sanded flush with the surface of the handle, as were all previous medallions. This changed with the introduction of the new-style saw nuts in the mid-1870's. "

Post 1871:

[Image: 1871med2.jpg]

versus pre-1871

[Image: onesonmed1.jpg]

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/medv2.html
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I looked there first and don't know how I missed that, thanks Admiral!

(12-20-2016, 10:09 AM)Admiral Wrote: The son/sons date the saw to 1871; likely they switched the medallion but still had sawplates etched "son" to use up.  The following is what the Distonnian Institute says:

"The company changed its name to Disston and Sons in 1871.

This medallion often appears on saws with the "one son" etch, making it the first medallion to feature the word "sons." It still features the old-style split sawnuts that were used until about 1876. The perimeter is also sanded flush with the surface of the handle, as were all previous medallions. This changed with the introduction of the new-style saw nuts in the mid-1870's. "

Post 1871:

[Image: 1871med2.jpg]

versus pre-1871

[Image: onesonmed1.jpg]

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/medv2.html