Chisel Confession
I'm with Warren here.

There are no doubt some really nice new chisels on the market today, but give me my good ol' vintage carbon steel chisels any day. I have a collection cobbled together out of two or three different brands, including Witherby and Greenlee. The steel is perfect. I can sharpen them at a relatively low angle so the edge is very keen, and as long as I strop them regularly, I don't often need to hone them on the stones at all. I don't think I paid more than $10 for any of these chisels, and for many of them I paid $2-$5 apiece.

It does pay to be picky. I've passed up a lot of pitted rust-buckets. I know what I can re-hab easily and what should be left alone. I can make/modify a new handle and re-grind a bevel. But I'm going to pass on chisels that need serious work on the backs. If I have to put more than a couple hours of work into a chisel, it's not worth it.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I rehabbed a bunch of eBay bargains some time ago - two complete sets in fact - and I cannot imagine spending more than a couple hours on one, including turning a new handle. Belt sander people, belt sander, grind the bevel, water stones, done.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Spending hours on rehabilitating a chisel is definitely not my thing. I know I am speaking for a lot of woodworkers I have worked with or befriended. Of course, different strokes for different folks and those who enjoy turning a $15 rusty Stanley plane into a pristine equivalent of a $200 Veritas or LN plane should feel delighted of their work. I just don't enjoying my shop time that way. 

As to sharpening, I am fine as long as the tools are sharp enough by feel. I am no salve of the sharpening regime and if it isn't 100% sharp by someone's standards, so what? It cuts wood and gets me a a good joinery and that's what matters. I laugh when so much has been written about David Charlesworth's ruler trick. Both camps -- for or against -- will never convince the other side to accept their positions and why try? Both camps are right!

Simon
I bought a rusty Stanley #45 on here and rehabbed it.  I enjoyed bringing it back.  I don't think I would feel the same way about a chisel, or even a #5. Then again, I usually watch tv when I'm doing something like that, so it's not more time wasted than just watching tv.
I too have rehabbed many and spent too much time on some. Now, I won't buy anything requiring more than 15 minutes before putting it on the Tormek to grind a new bevel. Some chisels aren't worth the time. If you want to make quick work of the back, I've found sandpaper and granite as the fastest method with good results. A belt sander can ruin a backside quickly. Even using the side of the Tormek stone can get tricky when starting and stopping. I will use a belt sander on the bevel if I have a lot to remove. I'll get it close before using the Tormek. I use to have more time than money.

I'm wondering if making a flat lap is worth the effort. Those Chinese diamond plates are inexpensive, with a couple of pillow block bearing and a 1/4 hp you have a vertical sharpener. At less than the cost of a good water stone, I might add. It's flattening the chisel backs that has me muttering. Better the steel, more the muttering.

For the backs,I use 6"x48"/9" BusyBee( Canadian version of Grizzly) belt sander that I bought for $100 , vertically to remove the rust pits on the chisel backs first. Then it's on to the waterstones , I work my way from 700grit to 8000grit. I then finish up on a hard felt wheel and green rouge. 

The bevels are easier. I'll hog off with a cool white on a grinder. This is tricky, it's easy to burn the steel. My next step is less tricky, I use the 1"x42" Veil belt sander that Lee Valley sells. They cut  cooler. The more accurately I set the rest angle and using the Lee Valley grinding jig, the less work it is on the 700grit. Again a I use a jig. For the bevel instead of the hard felt wheel, I use a leather belt on the sander. My son wired in a reversing switch on the 1/4hp  Baldor.

For carpentry chisels, I don't bother flattening the backs, it's just the hard felt wheel. Then for the bevels, it's the little belt sander at 120 and 1000grit, followed by the leather belt. A 20oz hammer overcomes the less than perfect edge.

Speaking of less than perfect edges, I found free hand on an oil stone and then a hard felt had me dubbing the edge.
A man of foolish pursuits
Did this for a while too until I figured it out.  "Figuring it out" = take a 6" metal ruler and hold up to the back.  Any back that was bellied went right back in the bin.  Scratch the top with the corner of the ruler.  Any taking a meaningful scratch also went back into the bin (soft).  Maybe 1 in twenty passed both filters?  I have a good set (but not th 1/8") of Stanley 750's that I got either while learning the lesson, or after.
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

I keep a box of "junk" chisels to teach newcomers to sharpen.  When they can grind a bevel without overheating and then hone and strop the final edge I then take them to a good tool.  Saves a lot of good chisels that way.
Hello Marshall;
Welcome to the forum!
Skip

Welcome Marshall. This is a pleasant group, without either the sniping or the holier  than thou attitude found on some other forums.
A man of foolish pursuits