NiCad Battery rebuilds?
I have a bunch of 18v bosch tools just layihng around waiting for a better solution.

It kills me to get rid of them, but spending a hundred and a half on a couple of batteries doesn't seem worth it either.

I'll probably just replace them one by one with LIion.
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne
(12-20-2016, 05:55 PM)Patsfan Wrote: I have a bunch of 18v bosch tools just layihng around waiting for a better solution.

It kills me to get rid of them, but spending a hundred and a half on a couple of batteries doesn't seem worth it either.

I'll probably just replace them one by one with LIion.

I've got  three 14.4's and two 12's that are still going, all Bosch.  When and if anll the batteries crok, I'll hate to pitch em.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

**************NOTE*********************

Just to let you guys know that there is a non profit out there that takes them and computer parts and I do not know what they do with them, but it goes to help needy people.

I will try to find out who again and make a post so everyone can send them the stuff.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Interesting replies. We used to get ours rebuilt by Batteries Plus and they lasted a long time. This was in an industrial setting and they were used every day, all day. It always seemed that the rebuilt batteries were stronger and the charge lasted longer.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I suspect the major battery manufacturers that perfected NiCad technology have moved on to other technologies leaving a lot of the NiCad manufacturing to second tier manufacturers. I have been told the devil is in the details of NiCad manufacture- that quality and consistency matters. The second tier manufacturers do not have a brand or reputation to protect and seem to be focusing on quantity over quality. I base this theory on the huge difference between the price of name brand NiCads compared to the generic ones. It boils down to the old saying: you pays your money and you takes your chances

Kyle
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
I bought an 18v NIMH aftermarket battery for Bosch and it works pretty well. Was about 40-50 something IIRC off Amazon. I would go that route rather than trash the whole lot of tools.
my mto rebuild didnt last long either ... in fact I didnt even get to use them at all ... I was out of commission for several months recovering from a couple surgeries and  when I finally got back in the shop the batteries wouldnt hold a charge
(12-23-2016, 08:56 AM)Buckhunter Wrote: my mto rebuild didnt last long either ... in fact I didnt even get to use them at all ... I was out of commission for several months recovering from a couple surgeries and  when I finally got back in the shop the batteries wouldnt hold a charge

Did you return them?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-23-2016, 10:57 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Did you return them?

nope ... they said too much time had passed for warranty
lipos are so cheap nowadays, I should probably make battery packs out of my stack of dead 18v nicad packs. Maybe 3d print an adapter to epoxy on to the bottom. 4S pack would do 18v just fine, and 3s would do 12v.  Probably don't need super discharge rates.  Use my lipo charger.  Actually will charge liion too, but the packs aren't as easily found. I guess some of the newer ones have electronics inside the pack, I think that is for the charger though.