NiCad Battery rebuilds?
(12-25-2016, 01:52 PM)EricU Wrote: lipos are so cheap nowadays, I should probably make battery packs out of my stack of dead 18v nicad packs. Maybe 3d print an adapter to epoxy on to the bottom. 4S pack would do 18v just fine, and 3s would do 12v.  Probably don't need super discharge rates.  Use my lipo charger.  Actually will charge liion too, but the packs aren't as easily found. I guess some of the newer ones have electronics inside the pack, I think that is for the charger though.

Well if you have the old style dewalt tools with the nicad that had the self removing option they have an adapter to use re new 18v lithium batteries on them. (the batteries often would fall out of the tools in use) 

I had 5 of the milwaukee nicad replaced under the exploding cell warranty and the new batteries they sent lasted about 8 months. That's about 4 less than they usually do. I have never had any nicads last more than a year when in daily use. 
  I did have some makita drills that the NIMH batteries were pretty good. The drills lasted just past warranty before the plastic gear boxes started slipping.
I've got Bosch nicads that are almost 10 years old. First 6 years was hard, daily use. Then dropped off to not hardly touching them until I started using them again this year.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-26-2016, 12:15 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: I've got Bosch nicads that are almost 10 years old. First 6 years was hard, daily use. Then dropped off to not hardly touching them until I started using them again this year.

Forgot to mention that you guys in cold climates will see vastly longer battery life than us in hot climates. Heat is the #1 killer of batteries of all types. Batteries don't mind the cold as their output is lower at cold temps but they don't degrade because of low temps like high temps ruin a battery. 
        The lithium batteries now are vastly better at surviving heat lasting 2+ years vs one for nicad and nimh. The over 100* outdoor temps and 140+ in a trailer or truck are very hard on batteries while cold temps actually extend the life of bttery.