Nothing fancy, Christmas presents
I did around 40 Christmas projects this year. Many that I can't post here yet, but a few that I can.

First up are just some quick and easy bottle stoppers in various shapes. Sometimes I just turn and see where the wood is leading me, but these were all designed by my kids, AJSoccerFreak and GabbyGoo. I just held the tool, although they are both learning to turn. This time we were just in a hurry as these needed to get to the post office.

[Image: 20161219_191744_zpsu9t5iiww.jpg]

[Image: 20161219_191727_zpsoqq606af.jpg]

Next is a custom cutting board. The board is cherry with a Padauk border. This is just decorative, so I wasn't worried about grain direction and the whole board being one slab. I've done several of these and they never fail. The image is laser engraved, and is a picture of my parents home in NC. It is on the Registry of Historic Sites. They own a small mountain that is also Christmas tree farm. The farm is actually worked by the Green's, they are a family that has lived on the property for 5 generations, and were originally slaves. They were freed but decided to stay on the land as hired workers. When my parents bought the property, they gave the Green's 20 acres of their own, and a percentage share of all profits from the tree farm.

The engraving is of the original house, built in the 1840's. My parents have restored the home entirely and it has been featured in many historic and decorating magazines. My parents actually live in this house a few months of the year, but their main house is also on the mountain.

Anyway, I thought they'd like this.

First pic is of the board being held by AJSoccerFreak and GabbyGoo. 2nd is a better pic of the engraving.

[Image: 20161219_192259_zpsutrmetxk.jpg]

[Image: 20161219_113305_zpsk6pztsg0.jpg]
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
That is a some really cool stuff. That engraving is an especially neat gift!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Greg:

Nice gifts, sounds like you are blessed with a fantastic family......

Merry Christmas,
Andy

-- mos maiorum
Good for you Greg for teaching the kids the fine art of turning and design.Hopefully they will continue turning.Beautiful stoppers.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
How did you do the engraving? Everything looks great.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Nice work. How many hours do you estimate you have spent?
Thanks guys. The etching is done with a laser engraver. Similar to cnc.

The stoppers took less than an hour all together. The kids found some designs they liked. Others just kinda happened. The Christmas tree shaped one was like that. It was going to just be a cone, but a happy little accident occurred. Sometimes when turning, you just see something starting to appear and go with it. Those are the fun ones.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com