Walnut lamp(s) build (part 1)
I'm relativity new to woodworking and I'm limited with the tools I have (not making excuses) but after building some side tables to go underneath 2 framed pictures of mine I decided I needed some small(ish) table lamps to go under the pictures.  I could easily go out and buy 2 but there's no fun in that right?

I have no drawings or plans to make these lamps...just an idea in my head of how I think they should look and things change as I go.  Right now I'm working on the bottom portion of the lamps then I'll tackle the shades which will also be built out of Walnut with some frosted glass inserts.

I wish I owned a lathe but I'm not at that point yet....maybe in the future.

I also plan on doing some sort of leaf/branch in-lay on the body of the lamp (2" X 2" square) using a lighter colored wood for contrast...possibly some Maple.  This is also my first attempt at a box joint connection for the base and I think I want to do some sort of legs to wrap the corners of the base to stand it off the table.

The pine board in the last image is just a test piece to see if I like how the next piece will attach to the base...I'm up in the air at this point.  Any input is welcomed of course because I'm here to learn.

Attached Files Image(s)

I like the base.  As to the column, without a lathe, you can always make it an octagon by knocking off the corners, or you can make it look pretty close to round, using a plane.
Wear gloves when handling walnut lest you walk around for a couple of days with stained fingers.

Very nice. I first thought the finger joints were odd until I read your post. Newbies ideas are always refreshing because they do think outside of the box.

Keep up the good work.
Nice. Another trick for the column would be (if you have a router) to cut a bevel on each corner, stopping it short from the ends; maybe an inch or so. But I think you'll have a nice looking lamp. Thought about what your finish will be?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I think your proportions look pretty good and I like the shape of the pine transition piece.  Your inlay idea for the column will draw the eye and the corners will become less "stark".  Just my opinion.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I see that pine piece in figured maple.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
Thanks for the input...I have some more ideas to contemplate and it's appreciated.  I'm in no hurry to finish the 2 lamps (I've been working on them on and off a couple of weeks).  Not sure on the finish yet...something natural and to bring out the grain of the Walnut.  The pine board was just a test piece to see if I like the transition from the base to the column...still up in the air with it but it's going to be Walnut whatever it ends up looking like. 

I do like the octagon idea for the column but then that eliminates the maple in-lay idea or just smaller than what I thought about doing.....decisions, decisions.
for the column you could do a tapered Arts and Crafts style, something like below
http://antiquehelper.rfcsystems.com/Full/526/56526.jpg
(12-21-2016, 06:45 PM)clockman Wrote: for the column you could do a tapered Arts and Crafts style, something like below
http://antiquehelper.rfcsystems.com/Full/526/56526.jpg

I have a hard time making decisions especially when I'm not following a plan or sketch...now I have one more idea to consider.  I do like the tapered column and I do want to see the grain of the Walnut/  Maybe this or the octagon cut is the way I need to go.  An in-lay is something I want to do but I don't think I'm capable of doing it at this point...at least not how I see it in my head.
Duane, don't give up on the inlay.  I followed Carolyn's (MsNomer) steps and every inlay has been a breeze.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood